Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FX140 Oil on Filter

RBI, I will try to call you soon.

I have a long winded post over at PWC so I will try to keep this one short.

I am interested in hearing how the Riva flame arrestor and velocity stacks work out for rbi. Jim seems to be happy with his flame arrestor. Any other experiences people can tell us about? Also, re: Tech Support's reply in this thread:
    1. Can the OEM filter really be left out without the risking damage from trash, water (from normal operations, not flipping it over) or oil getting into the intake system?? I only ask because the dealer tech made a big deal about it when I suggested that I might leave it out. He suggested burned valves in addition to the other risks.

2. Can the metal mesh screens in the OEM velocity stacks be removed?

3. Can you go over the differences between the Riva and the R&D flame arrestors. Any others that you can recommend?

4. When revewing the pictures that have been posted, I note that the velocity stack mesh seems to be a silver color. Mine are very dark, essentially black. When I press my finger on them, I pick up a sticky feeling brown substance. It is too sticky for oil. Any thoughts?

Comment

1. Leaving it out is exactly the same as installing the aftermarket 'filter' - which is a completely open zero restriction mesh flame arrestor, NOT a filter. The FX computer is more than capable for compensating for the tiny added airflow of either. Is there greater risk? Yes, with either option. For the TINY bit of gain, it's not worth it to me, having my GF being the primary rider. It's not worth spending money on for me. If there were some major other mods available and it was part of it, that's another story. But I have a 4 year warranty, and she honestly wouldn't know the difference between 57 and 58 anyway.

2. Removing the OEM flame arrestors will not work without also updating to the aftermarket velocity stacks, which modify the airflow to the correct signal levels minus the mesh. The aftermarket flame arrestor is then required for US Coast Guard compliance.

3. No clue, I don't know anyone with R&D equipment.

4. Silver is new. If you ever get oil in there it tuns black and gummy from heat and time.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Your # 4 Question is maybe left over fogging oil the guy sprayed into your engine. That stuff can be brown and sticky. The mesh in my OEM stacks has more a charcoal/ silvery color and is bone dry.

Rbi:)

Comment

I needed to replace my partially oil soaked air filter and ordered the Riva Power Filter, with that I also got the Velocity Stacks for my '04 FX140 (not HO). BTW after following exact instructions I never experienced any other oil/filter problems anymore. Here is my opinion reg the change which may take you 30 min. to do.

Saturday- Ocean riding: I felt right awaythe better acceleration and throttle response, which favors wave jumping, but there was not much more to compare it to.
          Yesterday- Bay riding: I went out with my buddy who has the exact same ski and we were always dead even. We raced from a stand still, same setting etc. and I was about 11/2 boat length ahead after approx. 4 sec. and good 15 yards after approx. 20 sec. I know these are not accurate measurements but the advantage was pretty obviously. Top speed I can't tell since I never GPS'ed mine before. The only concern I have is, that sometimes I feel the Input struggles to keep up with the Output, so I will watch it and may have to go to a diff. set up. This was a fairly inexpensive mod. and is worth to me!
          Thanks Rbi

Comment

rbi, great post on the results of your modification - thanks. Sorry I haven't called yet. I have about 4 excuses. When I do call, I will let you pick the one you like!

I just got back from the lake. I checked every hose I know how to check. I couldn't find any loose hoses or leaks of any type. I then put in a new air filter. It was bright yellow inside and out. The sun was shining through it brightly. I took it out for a ride. After 15 minutes I came back and checked it. It was sort of grayish white on the inside and the sun didn't shine brightly through it anymore. It looked sort of like a precursor to the other filters I have stacked up in the shed except that they have an black film on top of the "white" paper. I ran this weekend without an air filter. I can now only get about 53 mph now whereas I used to get 58 (indicated). This unit has a 5 year Yamaha extended warranty on it. Will aftermarket velocity stacks and flame arrestor void the warranty?

Wouldn't the engine be using oil if the rings are worn? After 5 or more minutes above 7,000 rpm and waiting for 5 minutes after getting back to the dock, it is showing exactly Full every time.

Another question: Everytime I took the seats off to check the filter, the entire left side (if sitting on the boat) was pretty wet. There was water on the top and left side of the air filter cover and all along the inside. The seal along the bottom of the seat was wet on this side. Is this normal?Could it be that moisture is turning the yellow filter paper white?

Finally, I called Yamaha Customer Service, aptly misnamed. I complained about the conflicting instructions I got from the two delaers and was given the runaround that they are franchised and Yamaha can't get involved. I reminded the idiot that Yamaha licenses the dealers and it is the Yamaha name on the side of the boat. I then asked if I could speak to a Regional Service Rep and was told that they don't call customers, only the dealer service techs. Another long, unrewarding argument. I hope everyone reading this that has ever had a problem related to oil on the air filter calls Yamaha Customer Service to register a complaint as they said they have received no previous calls.

Comment

Regarding the water in your hull - mine has been bone dry since day one.

Comment

I never had any water close to the air filter cover, only down were the bilge pump is, not even in rough Ocean waters. No idea were it coul'd come from. In regards to your top speed do you feel it's slower? That little speed sensor is not really accurate, mine sometimes jumps from 50 to 60 just hitting the water differently. Hope you figure it out.

Rbi

Comment

I agree that the speedometer is just an approximation but yes, it feels slower. Nothing scientific but it just does and the speedometer SEEMS to confirm my suspicion.

I am focused on the water thing now. The second service tech to work on the boat said my problem was moisture in the intake system and for this he fogged the cylinders with fogging oil. It ran great for about an hour before the performance dropped off again. Now, even without the filter the unit is running slower than before so I am wondering if moisture is the culprit. Perhaps that is why the new air filter turned "whitish grey" color insuide within minutes of instanllation - moisture, not oil.

Comment

rbi and Tech Support, onthe water issue - are you ready for this? I just spoke to the YAMAHA service tech at the dealer I was beginning to trust. According to him, water all over the interior of the hull is NORMAL. He doesn't think it presents any cause for alarm. He said water enters through the same openings as the air that supplies the combustion air. According to him, "You don't expect the inside of the hull to be sealed, do you? How would the engine get the air it needs to run?" When I confronted him with what seems like an inconsistancy to me since his diagnosis of the Loss of Power issue was moisture related, he went to great lengths to ask me about my operating method, primarily start up and warm up.I told him I push the unit off the dock into the water, start it and troll for 4 or 5 minutes waiting for the engine to heat up before getting on it. He said the engine will NEVER heat up properly this way. He said I should start the boat BEFORE putting it into the water, wait 10-15 seconds and then slide it in. ARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Comment

The answer is REALLY simple. FIND A REAL TECH because this guy is 100% hack.

Comment

I hear you loud and clear - the only problem is that this is the second Dealership I have dealt with. The first was the one that told me to check oil without screwing in the dipstick, incorrectly filled the oil during the 10 hour service (assuming they even changed the oil which is in question at this point) and didn't even know what the plug gap was supposed to be (swore that the plugs always came gapped correctly) nor how many rpms the machine should turn at max. Oh yeah, they looked at the oil filter and couldn't tell me or not if it was dirty/oily enough to casue a performance issue.

Are all Yamaha dealerships this worthless? The guy I bought the boat from paid for a 5 yr extended warranty so it isn't as if I have limitless options. Can someone recommend a first rate Yamaha dealership in Ga/SC?

Comment

The best solution is to do everything possible youself, stop relying on others.

Comment

Good theory - now for reality. I am a fifty yr old guy that has never owned a PWC. I have two incredibly active kids (13 and 11) that have after school activities about 8 days a week. I am a sole proprietor that has a business to run, I buy foreclosed houses and fix them up in my spare (?) time, my wife was just diagnosed with Hoskin's Lymphoma and had her first Chemo treatment yesterday (rbi, now you know the real reason I have yet to call you). While I get great satisfaction from successfully fixing a problem, I also just want to relax and spend time on the water with my family during those precious few times we get to go toghether to the lake. I do not want to have boat pieces scattered all over the dock while the kids look at me wondering why we made them leave their friends to go to the lake. If I had wanted a "project", I would have bought a 10 year old 2 stroke. Sorry for not embracing your solution to my problem-

Comment

Well, that's understandable then. Unfortunately PWCs are rarely a fuel-and-forget type of craft, like a pontoon boat and outboard. Most are reliable, but all take a good deal of time to prep and take care of, and unfortunately many many areas have lackluster dealer support, as you've found out. There's no easy fix for your situation, unfortunately.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear and we will have you in our thoughts. You just call when you can. I will hit the big 50 later this year and have a 19 & 14 year old, so i hear you. In regards to the Pwc we will figure it out, you may can ride with the center seat off and have somebody else look inside to see were the water might come from if it is a water issue. Just a thought.

Rbi

Comment

Working...
                                X