FX140 Oil on Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX140 Oil on Filter

There have been several reports of people having an oil soaked airfilter, some as low as 10 hours, others well past that. Reports are of oil sitting in the intake area under the throttle bodies, and oil soaking the filter element itself, restricting airflow, reducing top speed and RPMS into the 9000's.

New air filters are $120+, and not many have succeded in getting it covered under warranty from Yamaha (although I know of a couple who did recently).

Two things seem to be common in these cases so far, althought they *may* not be related.

First, several owners have reported elevated oil levels, either from the factory, or by overfilling from an oil change, both by themselves and from the dealership service.

Second, the 4 pressure lines at the intake and at the pressure sensor have come a bit loose. These appear to me, to be vaccuum lines, and I honestly don't know where the oil system comes into play on the inside of the intake in relationship with these lines. But several owners have reported the oil leaks at these lines, specifically where they fit the intake and pressure sensor.

It it highly reccomended that owners take off the air filter cover, and inspect for any oil, both on the filter, and pooling in the intake itself. Adding small zipties to all the lines in this area wouldn't be a bad idea either, to try to fix the leak. Unfortunately it is such a small fitting that even small zip ties won't secure them 100%, if they are under any kind of high pressure - however it may help.

SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Oil soaking the stock air filetr is a common problem on the fx--- and a performance robbing one at that.
    The High Flow Power Filter is the aftermarket replacement for the stock filter and doesnt become oil soaked and cause a loss of performance. they can be seen in the fx140 section on our site
    http://www.islandracing.net/pages/793106/index.htm
    www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

But the question is, where is the oil coming from??

Comment

Re: FX140 Oil on Filter

I don't think that the additional fluid in the oil reservoir is oil. I think it is gas. I have a new FX140. I checked the oil level upon receipt of the craft. It was at full. I checked it again after I noticed a decline in performance and an oil saturated air filter. The oil was at least a full inch above the full mark. The oil was very thin and smelled strongly of gas.

Does anyone know if gas is supposed to get into the oil reservoir? The service person at Yamaha told us this was normal for motorcycle type engines.

Comment

VERY few people with the new 4-strokes are reporting gas in the oil, it's very uncommon, but not unheard of. The problem with the Yamaha oil on filters is strickly oil level related.

Comment

Thanks for the reponse. I'm glad to hear that gas getting into the oil is a rare occurrence. :o

To follow up on my situation, my Yamaha dealer drained about 1/3 of a quart of oil from the reservoir and gave me a new air filter (no charge) from another FX140 on their lot. I went riding after that for about an hour and a half. The air filter had a few small drops of oil on it, but overall it was clean. Also, the oil level was the same as it was before I went riding.

I suspect, though, that oil will contine to accumulate slowly on the air filter even with the oil at the correct level. To alleviate the hassle of monitoring my air filter and wondering when it's accumulated enough oil to affect performance, I'm switching to the Riva FX Power Filter Flame Arrestor. Hopefully, Riva's filter will eliminate the problem (and provide a little performance boost).

Comment

If that's all you're worried about, just remove the paper filter. The Riva flame arrestor is an open mesh unit, only needed for legal reasons, when you remove the facory flame arrestor screens found in each velocity stack. The stock paper filter is just to prevent some water ingestion when flipped.

Comment

Thanks! I was wondering why the paper filter was needed in the first place.

Comment

Hello, I noticed a close to 1/2" diff. in oil level on the dipp stick if you start up the engine or not before you check (oil level higher by not starting).

Question: What is the correct way of doing this, measure after you run it for couple seconds or before? Also doing this with the ski on the trailer, if the lid of the airbox is level front to back and side to side that this is o.k. to get a good reading. Sorry, for the may dumb question but the oil level issue can ruin your day on the water.
                  Rbi
                  Last edited by rbi; 07-30-2004, 12:33 PM.

Comment

rbi, regaurding checking the oil level. wow, that has bummed me out for the first year i owned a fx-140. ya always seem to get different readings on the stick. cold it lowest, idled on the trailor is medium level, and check in the water is highest. after a year of messing with this multiple level readings i've decided that the way to check it is to do the in water warm up. ie. 7K for 5 min. idle for 2 min. and check it. when ya get it right with the in water warm up i think this is the correct oil level. when i check my oil level the next day when it's cold on the trailor the level is about a quarter inch below L. when checking on the hose, it's about half full. but under a in water warm up it reads F. guess the only other thing that made sense to me in reading the owners manual and service manual is that as long as there's oil on the stick when cold it's ok to start it up. also by doing the in water check first thing when it's in the water i figure i'm getting a proper warm up on the engine for the days use. hope this helps. jim
                    ps, get a high flow air filter (screen type), it really helps. no oil soak issue at that point.
                    02 fx140
                    ppk
                    solas 12/19 sb impeller
                    riva high flow air filter w/ volisity stacks

72 trisonic 1700 caprice, 165 merc i/o

Comment

Thanks Jim, knowing now whats going on I figured it out. BTW I ordered the Riva powerfilter and velocity stacks yesterday.

Rbi

Comment

I need to jump in here and vent on this issue. I have a 2003 FX 140. At 56 hours, I noticed a significant loss of power (acceleration and top end). Coincidently, this was about the time I got lazy and stopped warming the boat up on the dock for 10 seconds before launching it. I changed the air filter and things returned to normal for about 7 hours (top speed of 58 mph). Same thing happened again. I researched the issue, found the oil to be high on the dipstick and returned to the dealer that performed the 10 hour service. I discussed with them that the oil seemed pretty dark and thin. I was told that the oil looked ok (I saved the oil I removed) but they did give me a new air filter. I confirmed with them that the correct way to measure the oil level was to simply place the dipstick back on the oil filler hole, i.e. do not screw it back down on the threads.
                        Boat ran great for 7 hours before performance dropped off even more than before (max speed of 38 mpg). I took it to a different dealer. Tech checked the plugs and said there was water in the air intake system. He fogged the engine, ran the boat for a few seconds and there were water bubbles in the oil that had not been there before. Proceeded to change the oil. He said the oil was old, burned and the level was too high. He drained 2.5 quarts wbereas he said he sould have only gotten 2.2 quarts. He said the air filter looked ok. He said that you MUST screw the dipstick back into the filler hole to get an adequate reading of the oil level. He pulled out a manual, albeit an HO manual, to back up his statement. He said the water problem stemmed from not waming up the boat prior to launch. He said that the engine NEVER warms up adequately unless it heats up before hitting the water. He also said to stop buying the OEM paper filters and to go with a K&N filter. When asked if I could just go without a filter, he was adamant that I shouldn't. He went on about the risk of running a little too lean and burning a valve or picking up a little water from within the engine compartment.

I returned to the lake and the boat ran better, 52 mph, for around an hour and then exhibited new problems such as a rough idle and extremely sluggish acceleration after the first time I stopped the engine to chat with a neighbor, boat in the water, and re-started it. - I thought it was going to die on me. These issues went away after 30 minutes or so but once again the boat lost power.

So, here I am, the boat has no power, an oily filter, K&N doesn't make a filter for this unit, and I have several conflicting bits of advice from two supposedly factory authorized dealerships. I am getting pretty frustrated.

1. Has anyone else with this problem figured out what is actually going on and found a long term cure?

2. What is the correct way to measure the oil level?

3. Why did the unit run better after it was fogged, even with the same oily filter?

4. If the problem is truly related only to an oil level too high, why did it wait for about 46 hours to happen the first time (assuming it was overfilled at the 10 hour service) when I am only getting single digit hours between changing filters now?

Comment

The High Flow Breather doesnt have the paper element which becomes oil soaked and reduces performance--- We have the Riva ones in stock for the 140's and HO's.
                          www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Thanks Jim, I think I mastered that part finaly, had no more oil/ filter problem. I did order the other filter and velocity stacks, should be in this week.

Rbi :)

Comment

Wrambling Wreck, I try to get in contact with you. Call me 800-689-9226

Rbi/ Reiner

Comment

Working...
                              X