First Time Sea Doo Owner 1996 Gtx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Sea Doo Owner 1996 Gtx

PLEASE HELP. I JUST BOUGHT A 1996 SEA DOO GTX WITH THE 787.1 ENGINE. IT WASNOT RUNNING WHEN PURCHASED. WHEN I TRY TO START IT IT MAKES A THUNK SOUND. THE NICE PEOPLE IN TECH. SERVICES TOLD ME THE FIRST THING TO DO WAS TRY SEEING IF THE STARTER WORKED. I HAVE NOW TAKEN THE STARTER OUT IT IS NOT SPINNING WHEN IN THE MACHINE. IF I HOOK IT UP DIRECT TO THE BATTERY IT WILL SPIN. I HAVE CHECKED THE BATTERY AND IT HAS A 12.24 VOLT CHARGE. I HAVE TRACED THE POSITITVE WIRE FROM THE BATTERY INTO THE ELECTRICAL BOX ON THE SIDE WHERE THE POSITIVE WIRE HOOKS UP TO THE SOLENOID I HAVE THE SAME 12.24 VOLTS.ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SOLENOID I HAVE NO VOLTAGE. WILL IT ONLY READ WHEN I ATTEMPT TO START THE ENGINE ? OR IS THE SOLENOID OUT ? I ALSO SHOW NO VOLTAGE AT THE STARTER. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. AND IS THE STARTER A PROBLEM AREA ? THIS SEA DOO HAS 131 HOURS . THANKS IN ADVANCE:emoticons

Re: First Time Sea Doo Owner 1996 Gtx

The other side of the solenoid will only have power when you press the start button with the lanyard on the DESS post.

there is a simple way to diagnose this problem. With everything hooked up, jump the solenoid posts with a screwdriver. If the starter spins the engine, then the solenoid is bad, if the jump does not make the starter spin, then you most likely have a bad starter. Also, double check all the grounds, in the elec box, as well as the grounds back by the starter.

Another quick test is to see if you motor is seized. Pull off the plastic cover on the rear of your engine (PTO cover). With the spark plugs out, try and turn the PTO (white wheel, under the cover). If it spins, that's a good sign. If it does not, your crank is shot (at the least).
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
    X