96 1100 Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 1100 Carb Question

I just rebuilt my carbs. A little heat and an impact tool was a big help for getting all those screws out. I got the carbs rebuilt and back in the ski and it actually ran! Much to my surprise. My next problem that I ran into was with adjustments. The ski had a very low idle after the rebuild, sometimes low enough that it wouldn't stay running. I went to adjust the idle screw on carb #3 (the one the throttle cable attachs to) to turn it up and the arm that the screw attachs to broke off the carb. Just my luck. Looks like I need a new carb now

I was looking at the parts diagrams for the carbs and had a thought. Carbs 2 and 3 look almost identical, same price. Do you suppose I could swap those carbs around? It looks like I would just have to swap the pump plates and springs and levers between them. Carb 2 looks like it has that same arm for attaching the idle screw to and it's not being used. It's the arm that part # 10-12 attach.

New jet ski owner and tinker-er

Don't know what the hell I'm doing!

Re: 96 1100 Carb Question

Haven't done this but I believe you are correct that the boss for the idle screw is on all the carb bodies. If you swap #2 for 1 or 3 just be sure to also swap the idle and main jets - they are different than 1 and 3. It will also require going through the sync procedure once they are remounted on the plate. Good Luck.

RK

Comment

Are you talking about parts 20 & 23 on that diagram to also swap?

Comment

Yes, that looks correct. The center carb has a 95 and 1 & 3 have 107.5's I believe. Don't recall if the low speed jets are different or all 75's. If you don't want to mess with swapping jets why not swap carbs 1 & 3. Like I said, I have not attempted this so I don't know how much trouble it will be to swap out the linkages.

RK

Comment

I tried it last night, I think it can be done but I had some trouble. You have to remove the round gold choke plate in side the carb so you can slide the throttle bar out because those have to be switched also because each carb has it at diferent angles. Te 2 screws holding that choke plate started to strip and I didn't want to chance screwing up a 2nd carb so I decided it would be better to just get a new #1 carb.

Comment

Your screws holding the choke plates started to strip because they are peened at the end. You have to cut the peened threads off before removing the choke and/or butterfly screws. Just remember to peen (mash) the threads on the new screws.

Just a little FYI (That I learned the hard way )

Comment

Working...
            X