95 montego dlx stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 montego dlx stalling

Shark has been running great for 1.5 years after installing sbt 640. Daughter is running it all out, all of a sudden it keeps stalling. Carb was leaking gas, installed sbt mikuni rebuild kit (diaphragm leaking) and still does same. Starts but bogs or runs fast until you let up on gas, then stalls. Can't start unless you choke it. Also replaced gas filter and plugs. Compression test next or what? Possible exhaust leak?

Re: 95 montego dlx stalling

If you are saying your carb is still leaking gas, then it wasn't rebuilt properly or something is broken - fuel should NEVER leak from the carb and it is VERY dangerous to start the engine in that condition, do not do it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Carb does not leak anymore. Just doesn't run right at all. Stalls and bogs. cant start w/o using choke. ANy ideas.

Comment

What is your compression?
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Here is what i might be. You may have your return line and your fuel in line switched. Make sure your pulse line is right also. Good luck

Comment

Will do compression test this weekend (left it at lake). Pulse, in and out were labelled and put back properly.

Comment

Compression is 145psi each cylinder :) Checked fuel lines, feed, filter, gas tank tube etc., nothing out of norm. Removed fuel shutoff valve (aftermarket) and now it idles good. Once in a while when you goto WOT it will go, otherwise it bogs and stalls even if you feather it. If I play with choke while going WOT I can get it to go, and goes normal. Question, should I just get the carb rebuilt professionally, I can't check pop-off etc.? Or could I have a air leak in the lower unit causing it to go lean? I've blown a hole in a cylinder before and don't want to do it to this engine. I probably have 20 hours on it since install last year.

Comment

Fasteride, boy do I feel stupid lines were labelled and everything, and I still got them bass ackwards. It only made sense, kept me awake at nights etc. Swapped them tonight and it works fine on the trailer. Will river run tomorrow. That funny S(supply) and R(return) only hit me in the head when I put it on my bench for nth time.

Comment

Glad it worked out. Thing is what fools you is when you rebuild a carb, you have a new diaphram in it and it seems to be forgiving (but works harder) on the swapped lines, but then it gives in some or weakens some and then your troubles begin. Once you realize that they may be swapped you put them back the way they are supposed to be and then the diaphram work easy and there is no gas standing in the carb. The thing to remember on the mikuni carb is it seems backwards on the fuel return and input lines. You would think the top is the input and the bottom is the return, thinking gravity as your reasoning. But it is backwards with the bottom line the input and the top the return, seeming to make the gas run upwards on the return, which is what happens. But anyway glad it worked out... All The Best Fast

Comment

Working...
                  X