Ultra 150 engine failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra 150 engine failure

Have had engine failure on a 2003 Ultra 150, the ski has approx 60 hours. Very disappointed. Anyway engine started loosing power, changed plugs, got it going again but only ran another 10 minutes before seizing. Just for discussion it appears as the engine was starving for fuel also suggesting that the number 3 cylinder may also be damaged. The plugs had aluminum on them but didn't realize that the pistons were coming apart. Took into mechanic and he informed me of the above. The question for anyone that can help is that the mechanic wants $600.00 to tear down engine to determine how bad the damage is and after that evaluation then a course of action will be determined. The mechanic is suggesting that a engine replace is necessary at approx $2500 to $4000.00. He won't give a firm price until he takes the existing engine apart. He has been pushing me to have him rebuild the engine instead of going for a reman like what this site sells. I am fairly mechanical person but my experience is with diesel boat engines. I can see from this web site an engine is approx $1800.00, what is the approx cost/labor to pull out the old and install the reman engine? I am not fired up about giving the guy $600.00 to determine what is wrong with the engine and they have him say you need a complete rebuilt engine. Then you end up with a engine all torn apart on the bench and may not be acceptable as a core? I have a feeling that all three cylinders are damaged. Anyway any advice on the cost involved in the engine switch would be great.

Re: Ultra 150 engine failure

If you can do engine repair on boats, you can handle the ski. Follow the directions from SBT and save the money. Is he charging a $600 diagnostic fee and then charging to fix it? That's bad business. On average, to do an ultra 150 motor R&R, you should be looking at about $600-$800 labor. That should include breaking it in for you too. Seriously though, if you can do what you claim, you should be able to handle doing the job yourself. Look into that route first.

Comment

Re: Ultra 150 engine failure

Sir,

Thank you VERY much, that is the info I was looking for. I am certainly going to consider your advice. I will probably be on this site looking for more help as this repair develops. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X