94 GTX - replace engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 GTX - replace engine?

Hello all. I could use some advice about my stock '94 GTX. I was riding this weekend at approximately 3/4 throttle when the engine bogged down and began feeling like something was caught in the pump. I soon realized that the issue was with the engine, not the pump. When starting the engine I can hear a "chirp-chirp-chirp" sound from the block. Once started, the chirp continues and turns to a loud knocking sound with any increase in RPM. At one point the engine did seize, but would restart after cooling down. At the advice of a friend, I pulled the plugs to check for any metal shavings, but did not see any. The oil lines are all in place (replaced this year).

I'm assuming (at minimum) I've fried a bearing. My current thought is to just pull the engine and replace it with a new SBT as that will give me a fresh start. At the same time, I don't want to spend $800 to fix a $200 problem. Should I have the current engine torn down or just go with the replacement? Reliability is extremely important. That's why I'm considering just replacing the engine.

Thanks for any help!

Scott

Re: 94 GTX - replace engine?

sounds like a rod bearing. when the oil lines were replaced was the air bled out of the lines?

Comment

Yes, I used the same procedure documented in the shop manual for bleeding the lines. Since that time, I've easily run over 10 tanks of fuel. Seems like the bearing would have failed much sooner if the engine wasn't getting the appropriate amount of oil.

I've made the decision to go with an SBT motor. I started the tear-down today and hope to have the new engine installed within the next 2-3 weeks. To reduce the potential for lubrication issues I'm planning to install the oil block-off kit.

Thanks for the response. If anyone has any tips for removing the old engine or installing the new one, I'd love to hear them...

Thanks,
      Scott

Comment

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/guides.htm
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X