Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GTS 717 No fuel to cylinders gas blowing out top of carb

Ok,
    I have a '97 GTS which always ran great. I was out in the salt water last weekend and sucked up a ski rope. I figured these boats are made to flip and if I roll it according to the diagram there won't be a problem. Never dawned on me that this would be a problem, what a dummy. It took about 20 to cut the ski rope from the driveshaft and when I rolled her back the engine compartment was completely flooded. I drained the water but it wasn't empty for at least 30-45 before I could swim it back, muscle it on the beach myself and pull the plug, including drain time. Anyway she drank a lot of sea water. It wasn't running when it took on the water.
    I had to pull the plugs and crank like mad, there was tons of water in there. Some people helped me out, leaving jumper cables hooked to their batt. It took a long time but finally it started and stayed running. I took it out for a hell ride to clean the water out. After sputtering for a bit, she seemed to be running better than ever. I made a sharp J-turn and that was it, she shut off and hasn't run since.
    It was not getting fuel, the plugs were completely dry when pulled. Per someone else's advice, I started w/ the carb. I pulled the pulse pump thing and it is getting plenty of gas. I opened the other side of the carb and when I push down on the little needle gas comes out. I pulled the nasty fuel filter and cleaned it out. I also pulled the rest of the assy. off so all you see was the side of the block with the 2 holes and I left the tin thing alone, I thought I read something about that having to do w/ timing.
    The carb assy. is all back on, it seems to get a small burst like it wants to start but won't. I see the gas coming out of the top of the carb when I'm cranking it. Is that normal? Shouldn't it suck instead of blowing air and gas mist out the top?? Now I pull the plugs after cranking and I think they're wet with oil but not fuel....
    Please help.....I'm running out of ideas. I'm a car guy so this is all new to me.
    Thank you,
    Robb

Re: 97 GTS 717 No fuel to cylinders gas blowing out top of carb

no it not you have a bad rotary valve probely the brass gear they are mad to give out to stop engine damage , you will have to pull the engine to replace that but check the rotary valve first take the carb off the oil pump off and be carefull not to knock off the rotary plate if you can put a mark on the plate that it turns on so if you do knock it off you can put it back,. now after you get the pump off you need to remove the two wing nuts that hold the cover on the pto and take off the plastic peice off and then remove the spark plugs and then turn the pto by hand and hold the rotary gear and see if it turns if it turns with the pto it fine but it need to turn fully and with ever movement it need to be moveing if no the gear is shot, as and ill bet it is as that what cause the gas to come out the carb the rotary valve is not opening up good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X