I have a rebuilding top-end question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a rebuilding top-end question.

I'm a newbie to Sea-doos and this forum, but I have engine rebuilding experience mostly on motorcycles. I just received a 2001 947 GTX DI that had been completely taken apart from a top-end blow-up. One cylinder was scored and the other was fine. I had the cylinders bored and honed and bought a set of new pistons and rings along with the wrist pin bearings, wrist pin and c-clips used to hold the wrist pin in the piston. I have a question on the wrist pin bearing. It has an inner sleeve and an outer sleeve that holds the bearing in place. It also has 1 round ring on either end of the bearing itself. When you push the bearing in the top of the connecting rod, the outer sleeve falls off as the bearing slides into the rod. Now my question is with the outer rings on either end of the bearing. Do these rings play a role in holding the piston securely on the rod (as to not allow side to side movement) or do these rings just fall off along with the outer sleeve? I ask this because the clymer manual I have on this ski talks about not forgetting to install a "thrust washer" on either side of the rod, but I was not given a thrust washer with the rest of the parts that I bought and when the dealer looked it up on the microfische, he said it didn't show any thrust washers on the picture. And the book also says that there should be no "side to side" movement on the piston. I hope someone can help me out on this question because when I asked the sea-doo tech, he said they never installed any thrust washers on any rebuilds he's done. Thanx in advance for any responses.

Re: I have a rebuilding top-end question.

Buy caged wrist pin bearings from SBT and forget about all the OE bearing parts.
    Last edited by Wheels&Waves; 09-12-2007, 11:07 PM.
    Don Dallenbach
    Wheels & Waves

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels&Waves
      Buy caged wrist pin bearings from SBT and forget about all the OE bearing parts.
      The bearings from SBT do not properly fit the oem rods, but Sea Doo sells bearings that fit fine on oem rods and you can just use the wrist pin to push the bearing retainer through the piston and out the other side. It is really simple to install new non caged bearings.
      Never reuse 947 wrist pin bearings as they do wear out rather rapidly, and any minute dust or dirt on them will only speed up that process.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the correction and head's up on that one, Bill. :emoticonb
        Don Dallenbach
        Wheels & Waves

Comment

Working...
        X