SBT 587 White Single carb Engine died after 35 gallons of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT 587 White Single carb Engine died after 35 gallons of gas

I installed an SBT 587 white engine (single carb) into my 94 SPI in August. On August 15th I put it in the lake and went through the break-in procedure word for word from the SBT site. I followed the SBT recommendation and went premix with an oil block-off kit.

After going through about 35 gallons of gas the engine pooped. Died while riding and now I have NO compression on the PTO cylinder.

I have not pulled the engine yet so I don't know what the piston looks like. I will install another engine but I don't want this to happen again.

I will rebuild the single carb for sure. Any other pitfalls I should look out for?

Re: SBT 587 White Single carb Engine died after 35 gallons of gas

sound like your on the right track as it sound like you were running lean and since you had to change it once allready you should of rebuild the carb as this is what might of cause the first engoine to go , send it back to sbt do not tear it open to look at the pistons as you dont want to void warrenty

Comment

No one can guess what happened without seeing your engine/ski or having been there. You will get a diagnosis sheet with the new engine after yours gets here for replacement.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I will be pulling the engine next week and shipping it back to SBT. I hope the diagnosis can help me. By the way, does SBT send me this engine again?

Thanks for the responses.

tj

Comment

You get a new engine off the shelf, we never send out the same engine twice.

Comment

Update:

Here are the pictures for those who want to see. I do have a claim number and will be getting another engine from SBT.

Customer service with SBT has been top notch !

The 1st picture is the failed PTO piston and the 2nd is the good MAG piston

Attached Files

Comment

It's always great to see a company stand by there product. I too ordered a new 587 block from SBT 2 months ago but no problems so far. Keep us updated with what they thought happened

Comment

Ok,

Today I eliminated my carb as the problem. I sent my carb to Bill O’neal for a rebuild. I talked to him today and he said my carb was like new.

Thank you Bill for looking at my carb !

Before I installed the SBT engine I cleaned my carb, I took my carb apart and cleaned everything. However, all the internal parts looked ok so I did not buy a rebuild kit.

My next step is to wait for the SBT analysis. I guess my "smoking gun" will be in the Rotary valve, manifold or engine.

I will post more when I know more.

tj

Comment

Bill told me the carb, as sent to him, looked like new. Bill did not need to do any work on the carb.

Comment

tjr, I think I jinx myself... after me posting to your thread,I too after about 30 hours on the water had our 587 white engine die just like you but this happen after I posted, what luck I have. There is no compression in one cylinder. I need to send it back to SBT but need to call first, They are very polite there, I can't wait to see what my problem is. This time around, I think I may just but new carb and oil pump along with a new rotary valvle. I pretty much have done everything else to the ski and make it new. Does anyone know if a new carb comes factory set? or do i still need to set it up? what about oil pumps. Who does anyone recommend?

Comment

my sbt 587 single carb engine blew after 30 hours too. the back cylinder looked identical to the picture above. I wasn't the original purchaser of the motor so I fixed instead of sending back to sbt. I wonder why SBT's motors are doing this. I think my oil pump might have quit working, but I'm not sure. I had just rebuilt the carb. Hopefully it isn't the SBT motor, but the other parts of the motor that are much older. My gts is a 1994.

Comment

Just an update, The 587 single carb white engine of mine blew the piston on the rear with compression of only 55 psi and when I looked into the exhaust port the piston under the top ring has a huge chunk in it, which is weird or not , the other thing is uponed looking at it, my piston ring seems to be sitting in the wrong position so I think or am I wrong too? The top ring split is facing the exhuast port. Is this normal? I am not no mechanic but do work in the automotive industry and always thought the rings should not be facing any exhuast ports. Is this a miss assemble?
                        Tech support can you please comment on this? I will be going away on work trip for a week so when I get back, I will be sending this back to SBT, I am really curious to see the report.

Comment

As I said to the other poster, we will send a full report when it comes back for inspection. I can't guess until then, there are many possibilities.

Comment

Update

The SBT paperwork said "clipped ring"

Question for SBT Tech - it is too late in the season for me to install and break-in the new engine. Will it be ok to just leave it as shipped, do not remove the engine from the bag? is it oiled enough for sitting until April or May 2008?

Thanks again

Comment

If you are not going to actually use it and winterize it, then yes leave it in the bag, it will be just fine for many months sitting there :)

Comment

Working...
                              X