4-tec deffective connecting rod !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-tec deffective connecting rod !

I recently purchased a 2002 gtx that was sitting for the past 3 years. It has the 4-tec 155hp engine with 55 hours that had no compression on the center cylinder. I pulled the engine out and replaced the broken piston and both intake valve and it ran perfectly for about 8 hours. Last week while riding on a lake it went to limp mode and I pulled out the center spark plug and it had the electrode bent and covered with oil. I've pulled the engine out once again and did a bit more investigating to find the root cause and discovered that the center cylinder connecting rod is 1.1mm longer than the other, which was causing the piston to hit the head when it was hot and wide open throttle. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Should I contact anyone at SeaDoo and see what they say or should I eat the cost of their screw up fix it and buy a yamaha/Kawasaki or Honda?

I just had the connecting rod measured and compared with the one from cylinder #1 and it measured .9mm longer. I had this done at work on a CMM machine.

Spoke with SeaDoo tech support and they were not very supportive. I had the engine fixed and just this past weekend I went to my local Yamaha dealer and traded it in for a 2007 FX High Output Cruiser. They gave me an excellent trade in, hopefully this weekend I put an hour or two before putting it away for the long winter.
    Last edited by lougtx4tec; 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM. Reason: connecting rod verified lenght

Re: 4-tec deffective connecting rod !

That would be a first. How exactly are you measuring? Pictures will help here...
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X