Old engine coupler/New Engine coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old engine coupler/New Engine coupler

I have the kit to install in my 97 640 Monte Carlo, I have everything apart except the old engine coupler off the crankshaft.
    How do you remove this ?
    I know that it is threaded onto the crankshaft, how do you stop the engine from turning while trying to unscrew the coupler ?
    My service manual speaks of some tool for this, will this tool help ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Todd

Re: Old engine coupler/New Engine coupler

Todd, the best way is to rotate the engine over with the spark plugs out and feed about 6 inchs of a 12 inch.piece of rope into one of the cylinders to jam it. ( you are trying to lock a small amount of rope between the inside of the cylinder head and the piston, you will end up with about 6 inch in the cylinder and about 6 inchs hanging out). this works well and should not damage any thing. The space between the head and the top of the piston should be about 1 and 1/2 inchs. of room and then turn the motor over by hand to lock the rope between the piston and head.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: Old engine coupler/New Engine coupler

Different question regarding the same topic...I recently bent a rod on my 97 tigershark daytona1000 crank that uses the old coupler (large disc type). I found several cranks that are for sale that use the new coupler. My question is would the new crank interface with my existing driveshaft? Or do I also need a new driveshaft/coupler when using the new crank? Which version does SBT sell?

Comment

Working...
      X