Engine alignment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine alignment question

I'm getting so close to completing this project (installation of 657 into 94 GTX). I have the engine installed and connected and have been waiting on the arrival of an alignment tool. Unfortunately, Fed Ex delivered an empty box yesterday. The bar for the tool had slipped out of a hole in the end of the box. End result, I can't complete the alignment.

Since the weather here in central IL is changing rapidly, I'd really like to get the break-in done this weekend. Would it be okay to just do the break-in with the engine not completely aligned? I've put the original shims back in place and the pump slides on with very little effort. Once I receive the rest of the tool I'll complete the alignment.

Thanks for your help!

Scott

Re: Engine alignment question

**** that sucks. I wish I knew how to help you out...I was reading this post because I have the same question. I just haven't started my rebuilds yet.
    1997 Speedster (twin 720s)
    London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yes you can, just be aware that you might cause damage....

A trick to doing a quick alignment... Install everything, inlcuding the pump. Keep the bedplate a little loose on the mounts and kick the starter over a few times (don't start the ski). This will get you close. Then, tighten down the bolts...

when you get the alignment tool, do it correctly. Also DO NOT forget those rubber peices on each end of the driveshaft... VERY Important, especially if your motor is not perfectly aligned.
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie
        Yes you can, just be aware that you might cause damage....

A trick to doing a quick alignment... Install everything, inlcuding the pump. Keep the bedplate a little loose on the mounts and kick the starter over a few times (don't start the ski). This will get you close. Then, tighten down the bolts...

when you get the alignment tool, do it correctly. Also DO NOT forget those rubber peices on each end of the driveshaft... VERY Important, especially if your motor is not perfectly aligned.
        I've been debating on if I should go through of having someone align mine or rent a tool from sbt or a place like that. I went to go to a local shop and guess what the shop doesn't even have an alignment tool and the only person that knew what one was was the owner of the shop, and the place pulls motors all the time all they do is put the shims back in. That's exactly what everyone told me to do with mine but im picky with my stuff. What's the worst that can happen? kill the splines on the driveshaft, pto, and impeller? there's something wrong with my pump we put in a brand new double lip seal and it still leaks pump oil from the seal. errgh

Comment

O-ring still on your pump shaft?
          Dan Solie -
          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

One of my engines came already pulled from the boat, so I have no shims, nor do I have any idea how it was installed. I'll do the starter trick to get the thing aligned the best that I can. Does the shaft make a noise if it isn't properly aligned? How do you tell if it is aligned or not?
            London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Your PTO splines will strip in a few hours. lol That's usually the first indication.
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Well that's no good...I don't want that to happen.....hmmmmmmm

I have to get some 2-stroke oil after work, I'll look into getting the proper tool.
                London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

So I borrowed the special tool from my local SeaDoo dealer. Wow they are cool. $40 cash, and they loaned it to me over night!! :D

All set to go. Going to fire them up tonight. :D
                  London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice job,

You have to switch the hoses on the back of your engines, the hose with the T (flush hose) has to go to the headcover's arrow out, so standing behind the boat on the right hand, the single hose coming straight from the back (pump)has to go on the left hand site of the head cover(in arrow).
                    On top of the flame arrestors, you see a little hole, there should be a plug in there, so water doesn't go in when you wash your engine compartment.

Comment

Oh wow! Thanks for telling me! I'll put a plug in there. As for the hoses....So the single hose comes from a pump? I tried to see where these hoses go...the single hose just goes to the transome and disappears....? I don't know where it goes....There is a pump in there somewhere?? The T hoses....looks like one goes to where the garden hose connects at the top of the engine compartment, behind the seats.....and then the other end goes out the back.....is that right?
                      London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The single hose go's to the transom, it is connected to the jet pump which supplies your cooling water.
                        The hose with the T go's to the garden hose connector, which flushes your engine.

You flush your engine in the uposit direction of the cooling system, that is why.
                        So you have to switch the two hoses on each engine.

Comment

Ok this is starting to make sense now. Perhaps this is why the goofball that owned the boat before me blew the engine up. The hoses were backwards. The engine on the left has not been touch by me, it was intact when I bought the boat, everything hooked up, and it even started when I bought the boat. The other one was completely removed and disassembled.

When I put the jet drives back on....should I be connecting a hose to it somewhere?? I did not see where to connect a hose for cooling.
                          London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The hose is connected on the inside of the boat, check everything with your test run, waterleaks, feel if nothing get's to hot etc.

Comment

Ok great. Thanks.

Oh, and the rod for the Alignment tool, in case anyone wants to make one (like I am going to). is 0.9" in diameter, 36" long. and the last 1.5" is 0.707" in diameter, with a 1/8" taper at the very end.

That shaft retails for $330 apparently. I am going to make one @ work out of stainless.

The other piece is only like $150 or something.
                              London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X