Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waveraider 1100 Winterization

Hello,

I am trying to winterize my 1996 Waveraider 1100 and have a couple of questions as this is the first time I have attempted this.

1. Is it necessary to flush the ski with antifreeze before storing it for the winter? I have heard many differing opinions on this.

2. I've heard that some skis have plugs in the airbox for fogging, is that the case with this one, or do I need to fog through the spark plug holes?

3. Can you tell me exactly which points on the ski need to be greased?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first PWC and I don't want to ruin it!!

Thanks!!

Re: Waveraider 1100 Winterization

In my experience, (i work at a marina) you dont flush a 2 stroke motor with anitfreeze, only the new 4 strokes. Also you take out your spark plugs only, and fog the inside of the engine with fogging oil, be sparing, use a good amount, then whatever you have left put all over the pump on the outisde, the steering nozzel and all that good stuff because yamaha pumps are known to get crapped up after the winter storage. Then what i do with mine is spray CRC's 6-56 all over then engine, give everything a good coating of that stuff, and when spring rolls around i give it a good wash with spray nine and water to get it clean.

im not sure about the grease fittings on the raiders...hope i helped you
    1100 Venture
    mods soon to come....

Comment

Thanks for the tips and quick reply, Much appreciated! The info you provided was very helpful. Good to know I won't have to flush it with antifreeze. ... going out right now to finish it up! ;)

Comment

no problem, anytime
        1100 Venture
        mods soon to come....

Comment

Take and clear exhaust of water.. 1100 pretty well drains itself into the water box, so a couple throttle blips will blow out the excess.

In my case, I have a squeeze bottle of 2 cycle oil (synthetic that I mix with), with engine idling, I squeeze oil into each carb throat (I have 3 flame arrestors-- no airbox) to flood crankcase with a dose of oil, quickly shut off.

Then I remove the plugs, and put what amount to a couple spoon full of oil into the cylinder, then just "bump" the starter a couple time, spin plugs back in, remove battery, and put away. Start it next season on old plugs, then when you get it running, install new plugs.

If you is keeping the ski in the garage, and it is fairly decent temp wise, then don't get too excited. Mine sits in the inlaws barn, so I have to go the extra mile...

Something you might consider if yours sit outside or get tooo cold in the winter storage,, remove the meter, and keep it indoors... Mine turned black, likely froze the quartz display.....
          ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

Hey CaptToyota,

Thanks for the tips! Good to know about the meter, doesn't get too cold where I live but will likely get below freezing a few times during the winter, so I think I'll probably go ahead and take it off.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X