Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha XL1200 motor not turning over

Hello,

My name is Doug and I am new to the STB forum. I am hoping you can help me out. I just bought a 1998 Yamaha XL1200 with 20 hours and it also came with a trailer and it is in very good condition. I only paid 700.00 for it and I am hoping it does not need a new engine. Here is what I know about the problem.

I have the 1998 manuel for it.
    The owner before me told he had it running May of 2007.
    New battery October 2007, check it with a volt meter and it is reading 12.4
    Went to start the motor and nothing happened. Wouldn't even turn over. All three plugs were out of the motor when I tried to turn it over. It seem to me that something is stuck. (I hope not engine)

I would like to turn it over by hand, to see if the engine free, but I am not sure the best way to that is.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thank you for your help.

Doug

Re: 1998 Yamaha XL1200 motor not turning over

Unbolt the shroud that covers the wheel at the rear of the motor. with the plugs out, the ski should be very easy to turn over by hand using that wheel.

If it refuses to budge, pull the pump off and try again (your pump could be seized).
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for email.

"Unbolt the shroud that covers the wheel at the rear of the motor. with the plugs out, the ski should be very easy to turn over by hand using that wheel.

If it refuses to budge, pull the pump off and try again (your pump could be seized)."

I have a few questions.

What do you mean by the shroud cover?

I am looking at my manual and I do not see anything that is called the shroud.

"Pull the pump off" Do you mean the hole jet pump unit?

Sorry. I am new at this.

Thanks again.

Doug

Comment

Yeah there is a black plastic shroud(cover) that cover the coupler(two pulleys that connect the pump shaft to the drive shaft. They look like two interlocking round discs. I have my shroud removed due to aftermarket couplers. You might not have a shroud. Now after romovable of shroud 2 or 4 bolts try to turn the couplers by hand. NOTE: remember to take the spark plugs out. No plugs, no compression, easy turn. Now if it doesn't turn, remove the pump. It is behind the coupler. Doing this will find out if your pump is siezed or your motor is. when the two are joined you cant tell which is preventing the coupler from turning. Before going this route i would check to see about your starter. Does it click or make a noise like its engaging?

Comment

Wouldn't it be easer to remove the engine mount bolts & loosen the exhaust coupler at the rear bulkhead and slide the engine forward than removing the pump???

Comment

Um.........You could do that but the engine weighs ......alot more than the pump. That would be too much work. removing the pump is so much easier. Proplr remove half of it daily switching props for warmer and colder, smoother and choppier water. PLease dont loosen the engine mounts. First check to see if it spins. if it does you wont have to worry about the pump removal. Oh note take the plugs out!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X