587 connection to engine support bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 587 connection to engine support bracket

I briefly started my 1993 Seadoo SPi (rebuild 587 7/04 by SBT) in the driveway tonight to test my newly installed stop switch. As usual, I had the seat off. As it started, I noticed the engine gave a violant twisting / tipping type motion. I thought it was a figment of my imagination. After I shut it down, I pulled side to side on the engine, and to my amazement, I could tip the engine about 1/2 inch to the starboard, but none to the port.

I looked in my online service manual, and saw that the engine should be securely fixed to something called an engine support bracket. There are apparently 4 studs on the bottom of the lower crankcase, and the engine support bracket is held on by four nuts and associated washers.

After removing the aft fly wheel plastic cover, and moving the automatic siphon pickups out of the way, I felt under the aft side of the engine support bracket and felt the nut and stud in place on the starboard side. In place of the aft port stud, nut, and washer there was only a "hole." I was able to lift the forward end of the engine off the engine support bracket about 1/4 inch. I could also lift the aft port side of the engine about 1/4 inch off the support bracket. The aft starboard side of the engine is fixed to the support bracket.

Ski seems to run OK like it is.

Do I need to remove the engine and reattach the engine support bracket?

HELP!
    Last edited by SC93SPI; 10-27-2007, 07:54 AM.

Re: 587 connection to engine support bracket

No, you don't NEED to remove it, but you should.. Just to make sure everything else is good and snug.

Get the bolts back in there and use a racheting open end to get her secure... I would suggest using some red loctite on the threads as well.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

OK. I'll work at getting out the engine and putting those studs/bolts/nut in place. Red lock-tite it is. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Update:

Got the engine out enough to tip it on it's port side in the hull (the two oil lines to lower crank case and electical connection to the magnito are still attached. Didn't have to pull the jet pump housing and drive shaft (tried, but the jet pump housing wouldn't break loose from the hull). Anyway, got the engine slid back enought to get the aft fly wheel off the splines of the drive shaft. That was a real two person job. Now can see what the problem is re: the studs holding the engine's lower crank case to the engine support bracket.

The aft starboard stud is present, but the nut was kind of loose. The aft port stud is completely missing. The starboard and port forward studs are present, but no nut or washer on either one of them. I checked the bilge; no nuts, washers or studs. I figure they were left out when the rebuilt engine was put it in 2004. Either that, or someone saw them ratting around in the bilge one day, took them out and placed them on their workbench, and that was that.

Next job is to get the appropriate nuts, washers, and stud or bolt. Any idea as to the size stud, nut, or bolt?

Comment

The nuts and the stud are all 10MM coarse thread. Take an old nut with you to buy new studs and nuts, or just get them from Sea Doo and they will be the correct size and length.
          Use Red Loc-Tite on everything under there.

This is a common problem. Rebuilders forget to use red loc tite on the studs going into the cases, they back out and then the nuts are loose and fall out, or they both fall out.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

WCM, thanks for the reply. Will get some some M10 flat washers and M10 lock washers. Instead of regular M10 nuts, I was going to look for some M10 nylon retension nuts to use. If I can't find them, I'll use regular M10 coarse thread nuts.

Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, Nylocks work great here. But I find them still attached to the studs laying in the hulls because nobody thinks to use Red Loc-Tite on the studs themselves that screw into the cases and the whole stud backs out.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

OK. Here is where I am. I installed an M10 coarse thread bolt into the stud hole that was missing the stud. Used flat washers and split lock washers for spacing because the bolt was about 5 mm too long. Used red loctite (actually Permatex) on the bolt. I feel good about that one.

I tried to get one stud out with the "double nut" technique so I could put red loctite and reset it. I couldn't get that one stud out, so I left the three studs in place.

On the three remaining studs, I placed a split lock washer, a flat washer, and a regular M10 coarse nut. I used blue loctite.

Q: Should I take the nuts off and use red? Should I replace the nuts with nylock and use blue or red?

Comment

Originally posted by SC93SPI
                  I briefly started my 1993 Seadoo SPi (rebuild 587 7/04 by SBT) in the driveway tonight to test my newly installed stop switch. As usual, I had the seat off. As it started, I noticed the engine gave a violant twisting / tipping type motion. I thought it was a figment of my imagination. After I shut it down, I pulled side to side on the engine, and to my amazement, I could tip the engine about 1/2 inch to the starboard, but none to the port.

I looked in my online service manual, and saw that the engine should be securely fixed to something called an engine support bracket. There are apparently 4 studs on the bottom of the lower crankcase, and the engine support bracket is held on by four nuts and associated washers.

After removing the aft fly wheel plastic cover, and moving the automatic siphon pickups out of the way, I felt under the aft side of the engine support bracket and felt the nut and stud in place on the starboard side. In place of the aft port stud, nut, and washer there was only a "hole." I was able to lift the forward end of the engine off the engine support bracket about 1/4 inch. I could also lift the aft port side of the engine about 1/4 inch off the support bracket. The aft starboard side of the engine is fixed to the support bracket.

Ski seems to run OK like it is.

Do I need to remove the engine and reattach the engine support bracket?

HELP!
                  Yes you do. This is exactly what we have been discussing in this thread. If you do not do it, you will strip the splines in your pto and maybe the driveshaft too, and you will damage the driveshaft seal behind the motor.

You can do this job by removing the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the mounts, then remove the pump and driveshaft. Now you can block up the mtor enough to get the studs back into their holes and secured, then install the nuts and tighten them back up. This job seems harder than it is, and can be completed in about 2 hours or less.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Sorry. I don't think I made myself clear. I have already removed the engine from the drive shaft, tipped it on it's side in the hull, and replaced the missing nuts, washers, etc. Essentially, the engine is once again firmly attached to the engine support bracket.

To get the engine off the drive shaft, I didn't remove the jet pump and slide the drive shaft out, but rather slid the engine forward.

I'll remove the jet pump and slide the drive shaft backward to get the engine back in.

Thanks for all.

Comment

Working...
                    X