98 XP Limit revs out of control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 XP Limit revs out of control

My 98 XP Limited revs out of control when started out of the water, with no throttle. I can hit the kill switch and pull the lanyard off and it continues run out of control. In the water, it runs perfect, idles perfect, starts okay, no complaints. Thinking I have a vacuum leak, I pulled the plugs looking for a sign of leanness, however both plugs have exactly the same excellent air/fuel mixture color. Is it possible that fuel is leaking past the needle and seat, allowing the engine to rev out of control out of the water? And, in the water the engine has a load on it that keeps the fuel pump pressure and rpms in check with the throttle postion, so the fuel isn't forced past the needle and seat? I'm not sure what to do and would like to fix it the first try.

Re: 98 XP Limit revs out of control

Any repairs to the ski recently? Have you played with the adjusters on the carb at all?

You have what is called a runaway condition, caused by being lean (most likely). Try opening up your low speed screws 1/8 turn to see if that solves it. If not, it's time to pull the carbs and rebuild (it's probably time, regardless), and check all the fuel lines, raves and whatnot.

Goof time to invest in a repair manual if you do not have one already.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm going to pull the carbs and kit them, hopefully that will make a difference. I talked to my local SeaDoo Dealer and he gave me some ideas heading me in the same direction as you.

Comment

Originally posted by dawg
        Thanks for the help. I'm going to pull the carbs and kit them, hopefully that will make a difference. I talked to my local SeaDoo Dealer and he gave me some ideas heading me in the same direction as you.
        When you remove the carbs and rebuild them, verify that the fuel selector valve is clean in both positions, on and reserve. You can blow back through the fuel line to verify this. If dirty, remove it and take it apart and clean it, or replace it.

Inspect the fuel lines, they are known to detiorate on the inner liner and clog up the fuel valve and carb internal fuel filters. If they do not look perfect inside, replace the fuel lines with new fuel lines.

Make sure there is slack in the throttle cable when the throttle is at rest. Without slack, the motor will runaway at idle out of the water.

Make sure the oil pump is not holding the throttle open due to it sticking and not returning to closed position when the throttle is at rest.

Remove and inspect the 1/4 inch hose that connects to the rear half of the case behind the starter motor and to the rave valve solenoid on the other end. If that hose has a hole in it between the inline check valve and the engines cases, the motor will runaway on you when started out of the water.

The reason it runs away is because it is running too lean, not enough fuel mixed with the air going into the intake. This creates too much heat and the sparkplugs start glowing, which ignites the fuel automatically. This is why shutting off the ignition will not stop the motor. It does not need an ignition when it is glowplugging. Very similiar to how a diesel motor runs without inginion. When an engine runsaway, pull the choke and hold it until it dies.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X