1995 seadoo sportster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 seadoo sportster

New to the whole boating thing and its below zero in chicago...Just bought a 1995 spotster from a neighbor. The boat was in heated storage for 3 years. When it starts to warm up and I take it to the local seadoo dealer what should I have them do to get it ready for water???

Re: 1995 seadoo sportster

They will know what to do. What you can do is the important thing.

1st off find out if the previous owner winterized the boat. did he put stabilizer in the fuel tank? Was the battery kept on a charger? When's the last time the ski was serviced? That info will help you a lot.

Fresh fuel, charged battery. have the dealer do the pump oil if it was not winterized or the service has been lacking.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Because it was in heated storage he did not winterize. He did add stbilizer to the fuel and the boat did not come with a battery.

Comment

New battery (charged), top off the gas tank, top off the oil tank and fire her up! Make sure you do a compression reading to make sure the motor is fine.

You should talk to the neigbor and see what service (if any) has been performed. You should be changing the pump oil at least once a year, and the carbs might be in need of a rebuild.

Did you hear her run, or take a compression test before you bought it??
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

If it still has gray fuel lines on it make sure you replace them and go through the carbs. The fuel line sea-doo used early on is crap and has caused many engine failures, the line deteriorates from the inside out and clogs the fuel system up.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I bought the boat without hearing her run. Thew neighbor I purchased it from has become a great friend of mine so I do trust that the boat and moter is is great condition like he has said (I hope). I will take a look at those fuel lines. How much does a carb rebulild usually cost through the dealer. Id rather be safe than sorry. Oh....I Had a stereo installed on the boat which includes four mb quartz 6.5'' , a 12'' sub and an amp, My question is can I install a second battery on this boat to run the stereo alone? Any sugesstions how?

Comment

I added a batt switch and second battery to my 14.5' 1996 Challenger...there's room to build a battery platform in the engine compartment, being single-engine---not sure if you could fit the setup in with a dual-engine boat. There's a thread going now about the subject over on jetboating.net.

BTW, I added the 2d battery as a reliability measure against battery failure. Turns out it's an effective way of dealing with impeller clogs...I've used both batteries online three times since September 07 to get the boat re-started, after sucking in reeds and stalling the engine...a starter with two batteries pushing it has a lot of torque!

On the fuel, I believe in stabilizer and use it myself, but three years is pushing it. Got any stumps you need to burn?

Comment

Do you have any pics on the install. I plan on installing the second battery with a switch(1-2-both-off) also I found a switch that contained 4 switches for lights, radio etc and also had a battery meter with a seperate switch for batt1 and batt2 at bass pro shops. Cost around 70.00. again if you have pics on the install Id like to see them.

Comment

I do have pics...not sure about how to post `em...lemme take a look at Flickr and see what I can doo.

Comment

It would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Click reply to this thread.. Scroll down to the bottom of the "reply page" and click "manage attachments".. You can upload them right from your computer.
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie
                        Click reply to this thread.. Scroll down to the bottom of the "reply page" and click "manage attachments".. You can upload them right from your computer.
                        Ok...lessee what kind of goat-rope this will be...

Yikes...it worked!

The wood is pressure treated deck planking; it's epoxied and SS-screwed to stringers. The forward section has a small piece of wood added underneath to let it bear on the interrupted surface there (I didn't want to let it have a levering effect, under the weight of the front battery). Battery boxes are mounted to decking with SS screws and fender washers; the footman strap clamps are mounted with SS screws also. The clearances for the boxes are tricky; they need to be as far forward as possible to let the aft battery fit into the box. I cut the handles from both boxes at the center, to let them fit better.

The switch installation was not complete in those pics...it wasn't caulked in position yet, and looks kinda funky. I'd have positioned it a couple of inches further forward if I did it again...I ran into clearance problems with the breathing tube behind it, in this location. I used some pressure treated 1/4 wood behind the fiberglass to recess the switch; the tray will lift in and out without striking the switch face.

I used 4 gauge cables to connect the batts to the switch, and to tie the neg posts together. All in all, I'm very pleased with how it all worked out...it's even helped balance starboard-heavy trait of the boat (`96 Challenger).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Steve762us; 02-01-2008, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Where did you install the Switch??? Any pics of that? That seems to be the hardest decision.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly34
                            Thanks for the pics. Where did you install the Switch??? Any pics of that? That seems to be the hardest decision.
                            Look above the batt boxes in the first pic.

The switch was still just "roughed in" there--masking tape around it, not completely fastened, caulked etc. I'll try to get another pic tomorrow, as a completed installation.

I decided that was the best spot for it. It gives the shortest possible leads to the batteries, and it's convenient to pop the engine lid and roll over to the switch, from the helm. It's also out of the weather there, and if I ever come up with a locking device for the engine hatch, it will add a level of security to the boat, being in that location. Keep in mind my caveat above---if I did it again, I'd mount the switch a few inches forward of that location. I ran into some annoying clearance issues with the vent tube, that I didn't anticipate until I'd already cut the hole. BTW, the hole-saw set was from Harbor Freight...I think I got it for four bucks, on sale:D

Comment

I really appreciate all your help......Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X