Question about an engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about an engine.

Hello - just got my replacement engine today - Thank You. The reason for the damage to my old engine says "Ring hungup and snagged port". What does this really means, why did it happened and is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Thank You

Re: Question about an engine.

Most of the time one cylinder will get too hot or lack of lube and the piston to cylinder wall clearance will get extremely tight and the piston will grab the cylinder wall, this will break the ring. What type of oil are you using and are you running pre mix or oil injection? Have you rebuilt the carbs and is the jetting correct, what do you have your carb adjustment screws set at?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Hello - I premix 50:1 with Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus Oil. And yes - I did rebuild the carbs, but now ,when I opened them again, some of the check valves were damaged (Looks like those clear plastic circles on the valves could not handle the pressure and got sucked in the holes). I tuned my carbs at a delership before (I think they got some kind of tuning stand), so I havent touched the screws, but at THIS post back then you said that my carbs were working perfect.Thank You
      Firebird!

Comment

Firebird, You should be using a better grade oil, Not all oils are created equally, As the saying goes you get what you pay for. I know the factory oils and ams oil are expensive but they fowl plugs less, smoke less provide better lubricity and dont gel from salt air.

Comment

Someone at SBT told me to use a brand name oil, when I was getting my first engine 2 years ago - so I thought Pennzoil is a brand name and that I was using a good oil. Is there any particular you would recommend and where can I get it? Also is it normal for those check valves in carbs to get damaged(sucked in the holes)? would it help if I'll cut them from a thicker material?

Thank You

EDIT: I'm looking at Amsoil Saber™ Outboard Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil with 100:1 premix ratio, since my application requires TC-W3 rating. Is this a good choice or some other make/brand would be better?
          Last edited by Firebird!; 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Bump. :emoticonw

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird!
              .... Also is it normal for those check valves in carbs to get damaged(sucked in the holes)? would it help if I'll cut them from a thicker material?
              The Yamaha 1200's (like the one in your SUV) are notorious for damaging the check valve diaphragms as you have described, unfortunately, changing to a thicker material will alter the perfomance characteristics of the carbs and in turn the engine and ski.
              John Kubiak
              Powersports Technical Training Professional
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736
              PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
              PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
              NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
              Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird!
                Someone at SBT told me to use a brand name oil, when I was getting my first engine 2 years ago - so I thought Pennzoil is a brand name and that I was using a good oil. Is there any particular you would recommend and where can I get it?

EDIT: I'm looking at Amsoil Saber™ Outboard Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil with 100:1 premix ratio, since my application requires TC-W3 rating. Is this a good choice or some other make/brand would be better?
                My personal choice, in no specific order, is ....1.) the OEM oils, 2.) Mercury/Quicksilver PWC oil available in either snythetic or mineral depending on your needs at Wal-Mart 3.) Spectro (availabe at most powersports dealers) or 4.) Maxima (availabe at most powersports dealers)
                John Kubiak
                Powersports Technical Training Professional
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kubiak
                  The Yamaha 1200's (like the one in your SUV) are notorious for damaging the check valve diaphragms as you have described, unfortunately, changing to a thicker material will alter the perfomance characteristics of the carbs and in turn the engine and ski.
                  I appreciate your help. I'm still kind a newbie at this and trying to understand how it really works. If I understand correctly - with a damaged check valve diaphragms that particular carburator won't pump a fuel/oil mixture (or pump alot less than it needs to if some parts of a check valve is still working) leading to for fuel not getting into the particular cylinder - leading to overheating and damage. I think this should be the major reason for my engine damage and not the brand of an oil. Am I right? If so - what are my choices? (Please note - I am not saying that better oils won't work better - I do understand now that they should increase the engine life from like 200-300 hours till let's say 500. But in my case I think I put less than a 100 hours on that engine - I can't really check it right now because I took everything apart...) Once again - I am just asking - I might be wrong.

Thank You

PS Please excuse my English - it is not my first language
                  Last edited by Firebird!; 02-27-2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Yes, you are right, if the diaphragms are not pumping fuel properly you will run the carbs lean and will cause damage. Most often you will feel the ski starving for fuel and will be able to tell there is an issue with fuel delivery. Most outboard engines run a larger tolerance between piston and cylinder wall clearance and outboard oil is fine for them, but watercraft engines run tighter tolerances and that is some of the reason for running oil made for watercraft use. O.E. oil from the watercraft manufactures or AMS OIL are the two I recommend. Dont run any oil at 100:1 in any watercraft, 40:1 is fine.

Comment

So, once again, what can I do to prevent the check valve diaphragms to get damaged? If thise stock ones gets damaged and thicker material would alter the performance of the carburator - I don't see any other options

Comment

Firebird, unfortunately there is no good fix for the 1200 motor eating those fuel pump disks. Some engines will last years before it happens and some last only a year before it happens. The 760 is basically the same motor, less one cyl and they hardly ever damage the fuel pumps. I wish I could give you a fix for the issue but I cant, you might just have to keep an eye on them and if you feel the motor losing power then check them for damage.

Comment

Working...
                        X