Wear Ring Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear Ring Replacement

I just had my wear ring lose a few pieces on one of my 98 gts's. I have read a few posts about replacing it and some say you don't have to remove the impellor. Any insight on this since I will have to buy the tool to remove it and would prefer not to have to if I don't. I just ordered the wear ring from SBT since the local dealer wanted 90.00 for one. Thanks and let me know

Joe

Re: Wear Ring Replacement

Yes, you will need to remove the impeller. The tool is cheap (should have bought one from SBT with the wear ring).

Look on the technical atricles on this site for step by step instructions on wear ring replacement.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I called today to order the impeller tool but they were out of them. They were supposed to get some in today. I was going to order online, but the only impeller tool listed is for yamaha only. I will call them in the am.

Joe

Comment

Every dealer should have that in stock as well.. They are not that expensive.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

If the dealer does have them OEM, they will be expensive.

Anyway if you have a reciprocating saw you cut two slices about 1/4" from each other over the length of the wearing between two impeller blades, take that peace out and the rest comes out like butter.

Comment

I called SBT and they are out of stock. My new wear ring should be here on Thur so I may give it a try without the impeller removed as you said.

Joe

Comment

Good luck with that.. The new wear ring will not go on with the impeller in place... It's too tight of a fit (you want minimal clearance). That why when you install the new wear ring the impeller is VERY hard to turn and you need to "burn" in the new wear ring by spraying WD-40 in the pump prior to starting.

The tool at my dealership is a whopping $15!
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

I tried the local dealer and they didn't have the removal tool in stock either. SBT called me and they got them in. I should have it Tuesday sometime and I will get the wear ring replaced. thanks

Joe

Comment

I have another question about the wear ring. I got the wear ring from sbt and the impeller tool. Got it off, replaced the wear ring and got it all back together. No real issues during replacement. Took it out for the first time today and found that most of the time it would cavitate from the start and then it would catch and be fine, mid speed, high speed is good, but if I go back to idle then hit it, it would cavitate for a bit until I feather it and it would catch. I have looked at the impeller and wear ring and it looks good. Maybe a bit more clearance on the top of the impeller than the bottom, but if I rotate the empeller shaft, the clearance stays at the top, so it doesnt appear to have a warped shaft or bent impeller. The only thing that I didnt do, it apply sealant between the pump assembly and the ski. Aany ideas or things to look for. I do know the little seal on the shaft forward of the pump is in place properly also.

thanks,
                  Joe

Comment

OEM rings have kind of a lip on them which compress and seal against the pump shoe.
                    I do not know if aftermarket wear rings do have this also.

Comment

Joe, your probably sucking air from the pump not being sealed to the shoe.. Put some sealer in there and let it dry, then try again.. You'll be pleased with the results.
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

i have an 2004. I removed the whole pump put it in the freezer for 45 min then i pull the wear ring turned up side down and put back in pump. Runs just like new.

The hardest thing i run into when replacing a wear ring is putting the impellar back in with the new ring dont want to fit inside the wear ring.

Comment

holy 3 year old thread revival batman!
                          Dan Solie -
                          94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                          X