Correct 2-cycle oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct 2-cycle oil

I have a 93 and a 95 Sea Doo with Rotax engines. According to the owners manual, the injection oil must be an API-TC rating, low ash. They specifically indicate that you must not use any 'no ash' NMMA TC-W or TC-WII oils or severe engine damage may occur.

Unfortunately, all of the stores that I have purchased the oil from no longer carry this oil; Citgo Sea and Snow is what I've used historically. What they do have is a "no ash" TC-W3 oil that says is safe to use in place of TC-W, TC-WII OR API-TC oils. I am not finding any API TC low-ash rated oil.

TC-W3 was not around when these ski's were made yet it is a no-ash oil that the manual specifically states as a 'don't use' oil. You can see the rub between the book and the rating on the TC-W3 oil that says it meets/exceeds the API-TC rating. That said, do you know if it is o.k. to use this no-ash oil without risk to the engine?

Re: Correct 2-cycle oil

Any MOTORCYCLE injector oil will meet the requirements for API-TC. Go to a motorcycle shop and ask for a high quality 2-stroke injector oil. OR, I personally prefer Maxima Super-M injector oil. or Maxima Marine Pro injector oil.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thank you. So even if it is a no-ash vs. a low-ash oil, it's o.k. to use with the TC-W3 rating?

Comment

Originally posted by MTG
        Thank you. So even if it is a no-ash vs. a low-ash oil, it's o.k. to use with the TC-W3 rating?
        I NEVER SAID THAT!
        John Kubiak
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Then what are you saying regarding the ASH content???

Comment

The specified type is TC...TC is not TC-W3; TC-W3 is not spec'd to operate in service temps as high as TC is designed for.

Regardless of ash content, TC-W3 is not meant for use in a Rotax engine, from all that I've been able to read.

BTW, you can get Quicksilver **PWC** Oil at Walmart...TC rated, specifically mentions appropriate for Sea Doo engines. It ain't that hard ;-)

Comment

Let me try to shed some light on this confusing subject

The original reason for API-TC oil was to protect the ROTARY VALVE DISK and the rotary valve shaft assembly (both spin at crankshaft speed). Without this spec for oil, the rotary valve was subject to galling and siezing in the valve housing and the brass alloy gear could possibly gall or strip if the oil didn't protect it properly. The rotary valve design has been used in motorcycles and snowmobiles for a few decades and there were many high quality non-marine application oils developed for rotary valve engines. The Rotax mineral based oil is a good example of this type of oil (API-TC is actually a non-marine application oil specification)

This is where people become confused....because a Sea-Doo is a "marine" application, people attempt to use "marine" oils instead of the high quality motorcycle and/or snowmobile type oils that have been specified. I used to use Bel-Ray Si-7 injector, and later changed to Maxima Super-M injector oil in my Sea-Doo's. Once Sea-Doo released the 787/800 engine with rotary valve and the RAVE system (again a snowmobile design) there was a requirement for an oil that left less residue in the exhaust ports in order to keep the RAVES from sticking and not working, and Rotax had already spec'd the XP-S synthetic for that application. (Maxima Super-M also met the same spec's because of the sleds).
              John Kubiak
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

John, this is excellent information. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X