'01 GP1200R Power Valve missing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '01 GP1200R Power Valve missing?!

Just bought an 01 GP1200R with 54 hr.s First time on the lake over the weekend it ran good for about 15 minutes. Checking the plugs, center cylinder the electrode was completely closed. I replaced the plug and since it ran fine, I ended up running another 3 hours. (I know not the smartest thing but.....) After reading posts regarding the power valves, I checked mine and sure enough the center valve cannot be seen. The pin was just laying in the housing, but the valve is no where to be found. I checked the compression and they are all 130- 135.

Anyone know where the valve could have gone? and moreso, it looks as though it didn't damage anything... so far.

What is the procedure for updating the valves, the "how to's"

I am thinking I may have been extremely lucky this time around and don't want to go through that again.

Any help??

The valve cannot disapear, someone took it out.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thats strange since something caused the collapse of the plug electrode. I checked the plugs before I took it out and it was fine.
      I can't see anyone who would remove the valve but leave the retaining pin laying around. I don't believe the unit has ever been apart but I guess anything is possible.

Comment

Something came apart inside, and hit the plug. Unless you have the vavle inside the engine, someone probably made a repair and left the valve out.

Comment

How do you go about removing the valves?

Comment

ACTUALLY--- We have seen a similar instance where the PV was missing---( i wouldnt have believed it if i didnt actually do the teardown myself) --- the pv was gone--- 3 pieces were sitting up against the catylitic converter--- and get this-- absolutely NO cyl and piston damage whatsoever------ just when you thought you seen it all--- goes to show you anything's possible [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]
            www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

So maybe I'm not crazy afterall!? It makes more sense now as the cat con warning came on right before I took it out of the water.

Where would you suggest I start and what all do I need to check\do? Obviously, all new powervalves.

Should I pull the cylinder even though the compression is ok?

Comment

LOL man that I would need pictures for! LOL

Comment

Working...
                X