'99 GP 1200 Intermediate Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 GP 1200 Intermediate Housing

Hi, I got my new engine from SBT, (OUTSTANDING service, tech. help and diagrams), just prior to installing it I rotated the rear housing assembly's coupling and it felt 'gritty'. I removed it to check it thoroughly and the rubber part that's mounted to the housing rear was cracked halfway around. I ordered a new one w/ bearings and seals but was wondering how hard it is to remove the shaft and install it into the new assembly. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: '99 GP 1200 Intermediate Housing

Saw you post. I am redoing the intermediate housing on my SUV 1200 and wondered if you ever re-did yours or did you end up just installing a new one with bearings and seals already in the new housing.

I am looking for the bearing and seal install tool. Did you use one?
    ArtK

Comment

I got my Housing from Dennis Kirk, way cheaper than OEM, about $95. You can actually get the whole thing assembled (except the shaft) from Dennis Kirk also for about 35 bucks more. If your shaft is good and you don't want to deal w/ the bearing and seals installation, I'd go for the assembled kit about $125. They're online at www.denniskirk.com. Good luck.

Comment

we can probably get the assembly cheaper than that if your looking to go that route---- will check on price when i get to the shop this morning
        usually the housing is fine--- lot cheaper to replace the "internals"- bearings, seals etc
        www.ISLANDRACINGPERFORMANCE.com

www.ISLANDRACING.net

Comment

Hey, thanks I look forward to your post back as to whether you can direct me to a source. Replacing the guts is what I am wanting to do. Thanks for your and Kamandu's help. Although mine is a suv 1200 my understanding is tha the jetpump is the same as for the gp 1200. Just wanted to make sure I got the right one.
          Last edited by mdilabs; 07-23-2004, 09:09 AM. Reason: typo/extra info
          ArtK

Comment

I agree w/Island Racing, on mine though the housing's rubber that encompases the bearing assembly cracked, that's why I had to buy new. But yes, usually it's the bearing that needs replacing. If you have an industrial bearing supply place in your area, try them. I bought my new snap rings there and found out that they carried the same bearings there as well. A lot cheaper than Yamaha's $45 one.

Comment

I have just pulled mine and have made note of the bearing size so that next time I can get it from other sources too. Also of interest is that I also got my new drive shaft and intermediate coupling shaft so as to check the specs on what things are new and to compare to my old intermediate shaft and the drive shaft where the splines meet up. On the new assy there is practically NO slop on rotation between the intermediate shaft and the drive shaft. (I will dial indicate it later and record the readings and post them so others will know.)

I also will compare and post the new vs used deflection of the intermediate shaft assy once I get it into the housing. Mine with 300 hrs has what seemed to me to be slop and that is what started the experimentation with what the factory tolerances are. Sure wish Yamaha put all the new and allowables specs in the manual. On some assys they have it, but on others there is nothing. For example my 1200 suv manual does not have the compression reading specs!

Thus I am reduced to test and measurement, but hey it is fun digging into things and gives me an appreciation for all the desing that went into the craft.
              ArtK

Comment

Working...
              X