Questions after SBT engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions after SBT engine swap

Hello I finished with the SBT engine swap for one of my 98 1100 zxis and just started it today. I have two questions. One, the engine didn't want to shut off when I pushed the kill button or when I pulled the lanyard what could this be? Two, the engine idled higher than the previous engine did. If I didn't do any adjustments to the carbs between the two engines (besides using carb cleaner on the carbs while they were out) could this be a simple throttle cable adjustment? I am most stumped on the kill switch not working. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Questions after SBT engine swap

You should go thru your carbs, it sounds like you are running very lean, there have also been people who changed there fuel filters with non OEM paper filters, they could not handle premix the oil clogged the paper, not enough fuel comes thru and you will melt a piston.
    Ones a piston are any metal in top of the head get's so hot it will burn the fuel mixture and the engine stays running even by cutting of the ignition.

Ones this happens pull the choke, if you have a primer kit than spray with your garden hose over the head.
    Close your fuel valve at the same time, do not only close the valve, because there is to much gas supply to wait for it to cut off and severe damage will be done to the engine.

Comment

Thanks for the reply skisol. I do have a primer kit on it, as far as the fuel filter goes I believe it is factory. I have the factory manual for the ski and it does show the carb adjustment in there. Anybody have any better tips for the carb adjustments than the manual has? I am assuming the only needle I need to touch would be the idle needle is this correct?

Comment

It is not only the needle you want to check, you have to go thru the complete carb and make sure that all is clean and in good shape like the diaphragms check valves etc, what I have found in many Keihin carbs was that the needle and seat did not open enough, which also made them hard to start on the choke, make sure this is all perfect see your shop manual for the settings.

Comment

Working...
        X