Working on two 1200s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working on two 1200s

anapg77 and anyone else reading the last post.
    I messed up I did not go to the river with PISTONWASH I went with SUCKMYWAKE im sorry about that.
    I have comunicated with PISTONWASH on the phone and I agree he is the man to talk to.
    Sorry about the mistake both have been a big help.
    SCOTT...

Comment

I pulled 97 motor yesterday It took 2 1/2 hours thats my new record.
      I need to get seals and make a keeper plate to secure seals and add more
      cooling to the head.
      I have some pump parts coming today I missed UPS yesterday while I was pulling motor.

I have not yet pulled the cylinders from the 99 but they are in bad shape i'm not sure about the crank it feels smooth and has no play in it but there was a small amount of powder (aluminum) in the lower case it could have contaminated the bearings.
      It needs Pistons,Cylinders,(bored ,sleeved or replaced)clips etc,new domes for the head,base gasket.
      Also have not adjusted ride plate yet.
      SCOTT...

Comment

I have a set of cylinders pistons rings bearings clips etc coming for the 99.
        I still need to get new domes for the head.
        I am also thinking about getting bearings for the crank.
        I dont see any damage to it but may have been contaminated.
        I have been working on the 97 and will finish taking 99 compleatly apart to diagnose soon.

The 97 has the extra cooling line aded to the head and I am going to try and find a water bypass today.
        The seals have been replaced and the motor and pipes droped back in.
        When I had the engine apart I found that the key that stops the flywheel from spining on the crank was almost sheared off.
        I replaced it and when I timed the ignition with the new key there was a 5 deg difference.
        When I started her up she was still backfiring.
        I looked at my plugs (new set) and had 1 wet and clean 1 black and 1 half wet half black.
        I cranked motor and all three were firing realy hot.
        I then turned engine over by hand and to see if they were firing at TDC (timed at 25 DBTDC) and onld #2 was firing.
        I tried some more and found that #1 and #3 were firing in the reverse order.
        Switched plug wires and backfire went away.
        Either box was mounted in front of engine or wires were put on before it was shipped to me and put on wrong.
        Its 60 deg and threatening to rain.
        Anyway I'm off to find a water bypass and go and check it out on the water.
        SCOTT...

Comment

Red 97 is rocking.
          Auto drop nozzle and sponsons are a wicked combination.
          Have not done long hard run yet but hook up and acceleration are impressive.
          RPMs are about 6900 and I would like to see 7300/7400.
          I will work on dialing it in some tomorow.
          Waiting on cylinders pistons etc for Blue 99.
          Have yet to inspect crank fully for debris.
          I may need bearings and I still need some new domes.
          SCOTT

Comment

Had to pull 97 engine again as it dropped a piston.
            Was going to use cylinders and pistons that came for the 99 but pistons were damaged in shipping and cylinder had 1 different sleeve (mismatched ports again).I am sending them back tommorow.
            Both are without engines at the moment so I wont be riding this weekend.Got new dome for the 97 and new base gaskets for both,if the cylinders and pistons were good all I think I had to do was preasure test pipes.
            I think that may be what was causing the low rpms.
            99 still needs domes a piston a woodruf key and a dowel pin.
            I think i'll rebuild the carbs for good measure too.
            SCOTT...

Comment

Working...
            X