Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on two 1200s

Im wotking on two 1200s
    The 97 GP1200 has the rear oil seals in the wrong locations.
    Do I have to switch there positions.
    Whats the best way to fix stripped bolt hole in cylinder for head bolt.(SBT head bolts are shorter than stock and stripped bolt hole).

The 99 GP1200 needs new Pistons Head and Cylinders repaired.
    Piston failure damaged Head and cylinder.
    What is most cost efective way to fix.
    TriplePipe
    MSDTotalloss
    V.Force delta 2s
    Riva Reed Spacer
    Pro.tec 42cc Domed Head
    Pro.tec Ride plate
    Pro.tec Intake grate
    Mission Yamaha 46mm SBN R series carbs
    Riva 3" cones
    UMI Steering
    Beachouse sponsons
    Solas 14/20 J Impeller

97red1200

I'm not aware of us using any different length bolts - can you send me a pic?

The rear seals should be positioned so the legs are on the the outside. If they are not, yes switch them so they don't fall out.

The cheapest way would to be to pick up a used head, and resleeve the cylinder if it's a broken sleeve.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Have put a timesert (solid insert) in striped bolt hole and putting head on right now I have pictures of repaired hole SBT bolts and Yamaha bolts.
      Yamaha bolt is 1.990" from washer to end and
      SBT bolt is 1.720" from washer to end.
      I will send pictures you requested when my roommate gets back from Denver.
      Im not up to speed on the picture thing yet.
      Got my T.shirt,thanks but no longer at that address.

Comment

Changed seals.
        Was putting on head after putting in timesert
        $32.50 at the yamaha dealer when another bolt hole stripped.
        Torqued them to 11 foot pounds then 22 foot pounds
        I think it's a bum head.
        How do I stop bolt holes from stripping.
        SCOTT...

Comment

The holes strip from people overtorquing them. Unfortunately with used parts, it's going to happen time to time.

Comment

Verry frustrating as I cant not torque head down. Going to get some Helicoils but dont trust them
            like a timesert.
            $32.50 x 14 gets a little expensive not to mention all the time invested and downtime.
            I only wanted a fast ride not to ba a full time mechanic.

Comment

Are you telling me all the holes are striped all of a sudden?

Comment

No im not.
                SCOTT...

Comment

Helicoil in 10x 1.5 will hold that torque no problem. I use them all of the time on transmission cases at work.
                  J-me
                  05 Bayliner 175
                  98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

Re: Working on two 1200s

Why not just repair the holes that are already stripped,and use the longer bolts needed on all to ensure that they are covering enough threads ? Instead the ones that you are saying are too short.
                    Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Finaly got back on.
                      only had to fix the two bolt holes that were striped.
                      The pro-tec head is on.
                      Next I removed sponsons and epoxied the holes.
                      Drilled new holes and installed Beach house sponsons.
                      I removed the small plastic pieces that was all thet was left of the stock trim tabs and installed billet alluminum tabs.
                      I pulled pump and driveshaft and switched from stock impeller to Solas 14/20.
                      Driveshaft was marked up and Dealer mechanic told me it was a bad bearing so I pulled the housing for the pump.
                      Marks on the driveshaft are just after it goes into the housing and I dont see a bearing there but it looks like a seal.
                      I will reasearch it today to see what's up as I had to leave to play soccer at 6:30pm.
                      Damage may have been previous owner as he ws a compleat hack.
                      Missing pins to locate pump toexit nozzle and one of the four long bolts that hold pump together had no spring washer on it.
                      I need to make up plates for ride plate inserts (spinning) as I wont have access to them once I get triple pipe in.
                      Also have spinning insert to the wear ring.
                      I need to work on pump housing and get that pump back in.
                      I dont feel any grit in the intermediate housing bearing but there is some play in it.
                      I will look at the 99 intermediate housing to see if there should be any play.
                      Then I can start plumbing fop the pipe and install pipe.
                      Also have to figure out where to mount MSD ignition components and how to install it so I have access to the programable switches.
                      Need to install primer kit and plumb fuel lines to the carbs.
                      Also have to remove stock steering and brop in UMI steering.
                      Then its Tunning ignition and carb jetting.
                      In theory I may get to ride this season.
                      If I realy had to I could pull out the old Kawasaki.(not going to hapen its mutch to fast for me).
                      Time to do some research then of to the Yamaha.
                      SCOTT...

Comment

97 is coming along have pipe on and ignition and carbs installed.
                        Will be getting new jets etc UPS tommorow.
                        It wont idle and sounds rough at low RPMs but sounds awesome and feels wicked otherwise.
                        Center chamber gets a lot hotter than mag and pto chamber.
                        I dont think it should and that there could be a blockage possibly one of the
                        Mikuni jets inside.
                        Not sure which fitting jet are in it does not specify location in instalation instructions.
                        Also my gages are not working since instaling MSD total loss ignition.

99 is awaiting cylinders from Yamaha after bore job.
                        I have just received Pro Design Cool Head Fed Ex and wondering why the holdup at Yamaha .
                        I know they had to order parts but I know that if I ordered parts I would have them already.
                        I only ordered parts there as I knew I would be overcharged because I was
                        already there to get cylinders bored.
                        99 needs work on the handling side also.
                        It has a R&D ride plate and Intake grate.
                        I will try adjusting ride plate to see what happens.
                        97 with no trimtabs and stock intake and ride plate handled way better.
                        97 now has Pro tec intake grate and ride plate so we will see how it handles after carb tuning.
                        Now that Fed Ex has dellivered Head I can go work on 97 1200.
                        SCOTT...

Comment

I have no gages and was wondering if I could hook up another power source to the gages.

The 99 has the motor back in I finally got the cylinders piston and rings back from the dealer.
                          It now has a Pro design head on it.
                          The 97 is all together and ready to tune.
                          I have added a Deka AGM battery also.
                          I am taking them both to the lake tommorow.

Both have new heads on them and require re-torquing after running engine.
                          When I do this do I back off each bolt one at a time in sequence and then torque back to spec.
                          I am assuming this is done after engine is brought up to temp and not after test run.
                          Should I do this on the hose or after I get to the lake.
                          Breaking in the 99 and tunning the 97 sounds like fun.
                          I am a little nervous about what could happen.
                          Scott...

Comment

Started to break in engine on the 99 and was doing the 20% throtle 1/2 hour run When I lost my steering.
                            One of the pivot bolts had dissapeared.
                            This in turn snaped the steering nozzle at the other bolt.
                            Had to go back to the dock.
                            This was quite dificult I had to lean and drag a leg to steer.
                            Took the 97 out and played with carbs but could not get any RPMs
                            it just wanted to die.
                            I think my ignition is advanced to much.
                            Took 97 back in and switched steering nozzle to the 99 and continued break in.
                            Have done 20% 50% and 90% runs will finish up when I go back to the lake.
                            I noticed that even though I could not get the 97 to any speed that it seemed more balanced in the water with the triple pipe and new setup than
                            with the old pipe.
                            I lowered the sponsons on the 99 and it improved the porposing some but not enough.
                            I need to adjust ride plate and if that does not work change it to another one.
                            Its a R&D and i have heard mixed reviews on them, some realy good and some not so good.
                            Time to go work on the 97 to try adjusting the timing.
                            Triger plates are realy hard to get to with the new pipe.
                            Tuning cards and Ignition is a bit of a challenge and cant seam to get any solid jetting specs for carbs.
                            I have several set ups (specs) but they are all different.
                            Have set up carbs N/S Jets Springs based on info from Group K.
                            SCOTT...

Comment

99 runing good its time to get back to the 97.
                              I have a Bullett Auto drop nozzle and was going to switch it with stock one I had to take and put on the 99.
                              I have to eliminate the stock trim cable and I dont know how the thru hull (cable) works.
                              I also want to add dual cooling to the engine and pipes and need to know how to run extra cooling thru hull.
                              SCOTT...

Comment

Working...
                              X