Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 XLT Engine Replacement or other options

Hello all,

I've got a 2004 Yamaha 800XLT with about 80 hours on it that I thought I've been taking very good care of for the past 4 years. Thia past Memorial Day, I took it out of storage and too it out for a (very cold day) It ran as it always did. When I brought it back home and flushed the salt water out of it, the engine seemed to idle out during the flush. It wouldn't turn over after that.

I checked electrical, solenoid, starter, all the easy stuff. I was out of options and brought it to the dealer. They took it apart and found that the power valve had fallen into one of the cylinders and apparently beat the snot out of one of those pistons. They said that they would have to replace the cylinder sleeve valve and all this other stuff. In addition, there was "stuff" in the crankshaft (probably bits of metal) so it would likely need replacement. I'm sure the bill will be thousands in labor and parts.

I'm curious about replacing the engine with an SBT one. I'm a network engineer. I do electrical as well. I've poked around the engine compartment with direction from knowledgeable friends. I don't mind the work and learning, but I don't want to be taking this thing to the dealer half installed. The dealer offered to install the SBT engine as well, but they're so "backed up" that I likely won't see the thing for a month. In New England, that's 1/3 of the season and 1/3 is already gone.

Have any of you attempted this and been successful not having any prior engine swapping experience? I just am loathe to give the dealer (or Yamaha) more money at this point.

Yeah, I'll get the Wave Eater clips as well. I read about those after the fact. I can't believe I'm paying for a known engine defect...

Cheers,

CPTMcGhee
Working...
X