GTX Not Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX Not Starting

I have a 96' Seadoo GTX with the 787 engine. We have been having an intermittant electrical problem where only one cylinder would get spark after it was started and running and give it the gas 10-30 second later and it would run on 1 cylinder, also getting a 12V low message. We brought it to the dealer and they said we needed either a new recifier or computer. They replaced the rectifier and we took it out 2 hours later. The boat ran fine, other than a hard start, but ran well for 20 minutes the running on 1 cylinder seemed to be resolved. All of a sudden the boat died and wouldnt start. When you press the start button with the lanyard on the engine turns but will not do anything. When the button is released it sounds like it is going to start all of a sudden for less than a second but then just dies. Also we are continuing to get the 12V low warning while the engine is cranking, even after we got it right back from the dealer. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here or if this sounds like the computer going bad??? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Try charging the battery, or if it is old, replace it. What is happening is when you release the start button, the ignition gets enough juice (momentarily) from the battery to let it try to start. When one of these type ignitions doesn't get enough voltage, an automatic cut-off switch to the ignition is activated to protect the DC CDI from damage.
    A fully charged battery should solve your problem.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

The battery is brand new and it seems every time we take it out and we crank to start it we get the 12V low. We've tried charging it and we set the battery up correctly, adding the electrolyte and such. The dealer said the battery wasn't getting charged all the time, therefore we were only getting enough voltage to run one cylinder/spark plug, which was our problem. They replaced the rectifier and said that if that wasnt it then it had to be the computer. I just want to know if it's even a possibility the comp is bad before I go and spend another $300 to replace that. Does this information seem right??

Comment

Sounds right to me.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Sounds right to me too, except for one thing.

If he poured electrolite into the new battery and did not finish the charging with a battery charger, the battery never had a full charge. Maybe just enough to get you going, once or twice.
          The magneto and rectifier provide a very tiny charge to the battery, barely enough to maintain a full charge, and only after hours of engine running time. This is why it is so important to keep these batteries charged with a trickle or smart charger between rides.
          The computer clock bleeds off the battery when the pwc is not in use. So, if you let a pwc with a computer in it sit, the battery will not have a full charge in it no matter what, unless you have it connected to a charger.

Before I spent almost $500 getting an MPEM replaced, I would certainly put a full charge on the battery and then try it again.

If that doesn't work, you can always go buy that MPEM from a dealership and have them program it for your lanyard.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X