SBT Supercharger Rebuild Kit Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT Supercharger Rebuild Kit Experience

I recently used SBT’s supercharger rebuild kit on an RXP. First, thanks for getting a cost effective option. Here are some observations on my first experience. Hopefully, it will help others.

1) Although the piece parts are numbered they aren’t named so I couldn’t tell which one was the end nut washer (#17) and had to call for help. It would help if you referenced the part package numbers in your installation instructions or alternatively put descriptions instead of numbers.

2) After torquing the end nut, the impeller still spun (slipped) on the stationary shaft (I’m not referring to the expected slip from the ceramic washers). I had to add a second washer to before the impeller locked to the shaft. My original washer was significantly thicker.

3) The special wrench would not hold the lock nut while the disassembling the shaft. The ends bent outward. I happen to have an thin radial saw wrench that was slightly bigger so I epoxied them together to stiffen up the wrench. It looks like it needs another .050 of thickness to handle the additional torque needed during disassembly.

4) Getting access to a machine shop and press is problem where I live. I was able to use a wide pipe clamp and vice to press in the parts using the supplied pusher. The interference fit doesn’t require anything like a one ton press. I've used the same setup in the past in replacing the primary oil pump.

5) I was curious why the three washers needed to added between the PTO and SC housing. I’m sure there is some clearance reason but it seemed a bit odd leaving a gap there. Hopefully the two O rings will keep water out.

Re: SBT Supercharger Rebuild Kit Experience

Yes, there is a clearence issue with early model superchargers and thats why there is a need for the 3 washers. We will work on a better diagram for assembly order and part numbers for the kit. As for the wrench we are limited to space and it makes building the wrench some what a challenge, we know it flexes and so does sea-doos, we will try to improve it in the future. We dont know why you have had to add an extra washer to the impeller wheel, you are the first one that has brought this issue up, are you positive that you have added the thrust washer #13 to the shaft and used our spacer part number 12, this takes up space so that the impeller nut can tighten up against the impeller wheel. Our spacer and your original one are two different sizes, so they should not be interchanged. Thank you for Your comments and in the future if we can help then please contact us. Tom SBT tech.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes I used #13 as the thrust washer and #4 as the spacer under the acorn nut. I had talked with one of your techs and he gave me the same info.

I've attached a picture that may show my confusion regarding the placement. I followed your instructions but recall thinking that the factory manual seemed to show a different placement.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by thunter01; 07-31-2008, 11:13 PM.

Comment

The picture you show is not correct for the version kit we sell, the kit we sell is the late model kit with the up dates. The kit you show is the 1st generation kit that had issues, Please dont go by that drawing, follow the info and pics on our web site, that is the most current info. Tom SBT tech

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support View Post
          The picture you show is not correct for the version kit we sell, the kit we sell is the late model kit with the up dates. The kit you show is the 1st generation kit that had issues, Please dont go by that drawing, follow the info and pics on our web site, that is the most current info. Tom SBT tech
          As I understand it from a Seadoo tech, the kits were all junk with a 125% failure rate. That is until they came up with the 3rd generation kit in late 08. Question is, what is the difference between the Seadoo kit I would get from a dealer and this kit of yours?
          Red 03 GTX SC and Yellow 03 GTX SC

Comment

Sea-doo never gave you the metal washers with the early style kits; they were all ceramic and would fail causing major damage to the engine. The only way you could get the metal washers was to purchase them separate from other aftermarket companies. SBT has set their kit up to include the washers as standard practice.

Comment

But in the late style kit, it is metal, just like yours?
              Red 03 GTX SC and Yellow 03 GTX SC

Comment

Working...
              X