1996 Waveraider 760--Faulty Kill Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Waveraider 760--Faulty Kill Switch

My '96 Waveraider 760 stays running even after I hold down the STOP button and also after I yank the kill switch.

I pulled apart the START/STOP/KILL unit (Yamaha calls it the "Switch Box Assembly," part# GJ1-68310-00-00).

I found that the motor starts when the kill switch is applied (lanyard attached), but it does not start when the kill switch is disengaged (lanyard unattached).

Has anyone had a problem like this before and does SBT sell this item?

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...kill+switch%22 thread announces a similar problem but offers no direct solution.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 2WR760s; 08-08-2008, 07:26 PM.

Re: 1996 Waveraider 760--Faulty Kill Switch

Brown and red are signal for start.
    White and black give ground to exciter coil killing engine.
    Sounds like the little spring inside switch have gone to spring heaven.
    Buy new switch, save yourself time an fustration.

Comment

I determined that the switch itself is not the problem. It appears that the switch only tells an electrical actuator (solenoid?) inside the engine compartment housing to stop the spark plugs from firing. This actuator is apparently stuck in the "ON" position.

No I must determine if the actuator is part #6G1-81941-10-00 (STARTER RELAY)

or

6M6-81960-A0-00 (RECTIFIER/REGULATOR ASSEMBLY)

...I sure hope it has nothing to do with the expensive CDI or Meter Assembly (which doesn't function).

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Did you get your Waveraider working?

Comment

Me too. I had the cdi go bad )no spark( and with the replacement it won't shut down. Same symptoms. Makes me think its a cdi problem.

Comment

Working...
          X