Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engine alignment

Originally posted by Craig_Canada View Post
    . I was thinking of buying one too...but like I said in my last post, this one that SBT is offering doesn't have the mock-up jet pump section where the alignment rod slides through. The picture is pretty vague....would you do me a favour when you get the kit, and take a pic of it for me? I just don't get how the rod aligns the engine to anything....
    The SBT kit is the same as the "new and improved" 1998 kit that the Sea-Doo dealers were supposed to replace the 140mm jet-pump based tool with. There are three plates to accomodate the three different size pumps used on the complete line of Sea-Doo PWC. The latest one is for the 4-strokes The remainder of the kit is to fit all of the line-up including XP-L's and the HX's.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

To pick up where John left off.. the plates bolt where the pump bolts to.. You dont NEED the mock-pump, the plates do the same job. There is a tube that goes through the plates that the alignment tool slides through..

I have the updated SD kit (but only the 140-155 plates) and the XPL alignment adaptor... It looks JUST like the one SBT offers but mine doesn't have the cool handle on the end, just a metal, tapered rod.

Trust me when I say the SBT tool is just as good as the OEM one, if not better.
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Good to know. Thanks!
        1997 Speedster (twin 720s)
        London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I just aligned my 787 motor today with the SBT tool. (no instructions appears to be the norm)

Check out the video on engine alignment. That helped me.

I just got a new rebuild from SBT.. and I just figured out which of the two plates fit the bolt pattern on the back of my doo.. and bolted it on.
          (You have to remove the jet pump/steering etc)

I bolted the hub looking device to the plate that was now attached to my doo.

Put the shaft through the hub/plate.. and tried different combos of the shims, until that shaft slide in and out perfectly without binding or hardly touching the gears inside the PTO.

A word of advice, I was playing with the shims that were in there originally.. and never got close. Took all the shims out and started at zero level.. and had it perfect in just a few minutes.

Oh and I think the three other pieces are adapters for the end of the long shaft.

(I test fitted them without the shaft to see which one fit in my PTO the best)

Then I slide the shaft in.. and after it entered the ski, I slide the adapter on before it got to the PTO

and in case you get confused on the driveshaft seal:
          http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=32669

Comment

You would be surprised to see how mis-aligned most seadoos are from the factory.. WAYYYY off..
            Dan Solie -
            04 RXP (the "Instigator")
            94 xp (freestyle mods)
            95 xp (faster than the 94)
            JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

the one I bought from SBT came with 2 alignment plates.......pump mock up you may call them. the tool bolts up to the back of the hull, rod slides through, align mtor using shims. I believe the sight has a video on this. if you own more than one or plan to stick with the same brand well worth the cash.

Comment

Hi,

I just realigned an HX engine which includes the intermediate bearing. I made the tool myself. You can get a peice of .875" ground finish 01 tool steel rod from an industrial supply house(Mcmaster.com) for about $50. I have the good fortune of having a freind with a lathe. We turned one end down to .675" ( the minor diameter of the spline on the flywheel) and put a taper on it to allow it slide through the seal without damaging them. It worked great.
                Borrowing one would be next best choice.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X