Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbs won't stop dripping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs won't stop dripping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I got my ski back together rebuilt carbs etc etc...
    It's a 94 gtx with a new sbt 657 dual mikuni carbs

Had this problem before the new engine and figure a fresh rebuilt would fix carbs...

Alright carbs dribble with original needle a seat pressure setting so I kept raising the pop-off. I put a new 1.5 needle and seat in place of the 2.0 and raised pressure twice and still dribbles from the bulls eye and idle quality suxs.

My pop-off is now 44 psi which is quite higher than stock. I don't understand considering the ski is stock why wouldn't it work with the stock setup or maybe slightly higher but none the less they still dribble away. I have checked the arm height as well as replaced the diaphrams.

The only thing I didn't replace however is the little clear plastic "Check valve" through the high speed circuit because they looked fine. Is there anyway that those valves can cause a problem with the high speed jet dribbling at idle?

Is it possible my fuel pressure can be too high??

Re: Carbs won't stop dripping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the check valve has alot to do with it. But is the pressure check valve good on the fuel tank? It should release pressure at about 6 psi, if it does not it will force fuel into the carbs causing the crank case to fill with fuel. Put your carbs back to stock, do not mess with different needle and seats nor heavier springs. If your motor is in stock form then keep stock settings. Your fuel tank might be holding too much pressure.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Ok, well I checked all the return lines and no restrictions. The rear carb seems ok but the mag carb with is still dripping. I have had three different needles a seats in it different springs etc as I mentioned before and still dripping. I have installed completely new high speed check valves along with the housings and still dripping.

I put a fuel pressure gauge between the carbs and it reads about 1.5 pounds at idle. I had the carb testing on the bench and no sign of the needle and seat leaking I even went as far as to double the check valve plastic peice for the hell of it thinking it might be lifting up at idle and letting it dribble. Still dribbles. Occasionally if it sits for about 5 minutes and then you restart it, it won't drip but as soon as you rev and release it the drip returns.

Put everything stock back in tried again and still .... drips and drips and drips....

Comment

oh I also checked the passages in the rear carb and they are all free and clear nothing restricting the return flow. I even ran a seperate line from the return into the tank fill and still no luck

Comment

So it only drips when your engine runs at idle, not when the engine is not running at all?

As it drips at idle like you say idle sux, can you describe what idle does exactly, keeps changing RPM etc or so ?

Comment

Yes it only drips at idle while running. And it may run for a 30 seconds sometimes when you first start it but then if you stand and watch the front carb will start dripping and as soon as that starts then it seems like the cylinder floods of course and then the rpms drop down. If you rev it it will clear for a moment then go back to ok idle but then wait a moment and it will start dripping again

Comment

To what settings did you adjust your high and low speed adjuster screws?

should be, lowspeed 1-1/4 + or - 1/4 turn
              highspeed 3/8 turn

is your idle out of the water set to 2800 RPM?
              Last edited by skisol; 08-30-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X