Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about ski that I just purchased (1990 Sea Doo 5803 SP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ski that I just purchased (1990 Sea Doo 5803 SP)

Funny! It won't crank over but the mechanic bought some carb gaskets. Listen, do not buy this piece of $#$% until they start it and do a compression check. Sounds like a bad starter and/or a rusted crank. Who knows what else.

How much is it?

Comment

I agree - without it in at least running condition so you can do some checks like compression, don't consider it if it's more than a few hundred bucks. You may very well need a grand or more in repairs.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Remove the pto cover a hit the starter button. Look at the rubber hose that holds the driveshaft bearing. Is it trying to twist ? That would indicate a rusted driveshaft bearing that needs to be replaced. About $50.00 worth of parts and couple hours labor.

If that is not the problem, pass up this ski. Not running it is worth about zero to $200 dollars, running it is worth about $1000.00

There are thousands of decent PWC buys out there. Keep looking.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

I am going to pick up a new (to me) Sea Doo this friday. It is a 1990 Sea Doo 5803 SP 587 yellow. It is not running right now, but according to the owner and a local sea doo shop it is a minor problem. The owner dewinterized it, put in new plugs and went to start it and it would crank but not turnover. He bought a new battery and put it in and then it wouldn't even crank, just kind of a clicking sound. He then bought some carburator gaskets to install, but has not put them on yet. He is the original owner and it was running when it was winterized last season. Just wanting some opinions on what it might need and is it stuff I could do on my own or will I need to take it to a shop. Sorry about the length. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
          Kevin

[ April 02, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: 90seadooSP1 ]

Comment

Regarding this particular ski, I was going to purchase it for $900 with trailer, but now I have found another deal. A friend of a friend is selling his 1994 sea doo xp. From what I have been told it includes trailer and cover, but there are two things wrong with it. One the trim motor is broken, how much will that cost to fix and two there is a small oil leak in the engine somwewhere. I have not seen the ski yet, so do not know where the leak is but owner says that it is a minor problem and only needs one gasket to be replaced. I was slo told that he would sell it all for $1100, which one should I buy?
            Thanks,
            Kevin

Comment

You need to find out EXACTLY what he means by 'oil leak'. There is no gasket he can replace to fix one.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

First off, most old Sea Doo's have minor oil leaks. They seep oil at the clear plastic hose where it meets the block under the intake manifold and enters the RV cavity. It is difficult to see, but you can use your fingers to feel for the leak. It can be fixed rather easily by removing the clamp and pinching off the hose, then pulling the hose off of the block fitting, snip off 1 inch of hose and re-install the plastic line to the block. DO not overtighten the clamp and cut the plastic hose again.

The trim can be something like the cable is froze up, or the trim motor is bad. Shops like mine sometimes have these things laying around used. In my case, I think I have a new motor and cable from one of our old 1994 XP racing boats. These parts are rather expensive at the dealerships. You can go online at Parker-Yamaha.com to get prices. HSLM.com has online manuals for parts.

The 1994XP is a much faster, and better handling boat than the 1990 model ever thought of being.

You should probably take it to a professional and get an estimate for the repairs, and an opinion as to the condition of the ski.
                Bill O'Neal WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X