97 GS not starting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GS not starting???

I have a 97GS that has run great until recently. Now will not start. Here's what I have checked so far;

1) DEES I have a double chirp, but when I push the start stop button nothing.
    2) Ohm checked start/stop and it checked good.
    3) Checked 5 amp and both 15 amp fuses checked good.
    4) Swapped battery with known good battery, still nothing.
    5) Removed solenoid, bench checked good; ohm and clicked with 12 volts applied.
    6) Starter bench checked good.
    7) Rotated engine by hand, no issues.
    8) Reseated every connection I could find.
    9) Ohm checked ground from starter to battery, checked good.

Help,
    Thanks

Re: 97 GS not starting???

When you press the start/stop button 5 times fast, do you get a beep? Do the gauges come on AT ALL when you press the S/S button?

Even though it checked okay, that's where I would be looking if the above does not happen.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I don't get a beep after pressing s/s button 5 times, the only guages this ski has are the gas and the oil, both move when I put the key on.

I'm at a loss here.

Comment

I would be looking at the start stop.. You can short out the wires and see if it works.

I have had one go bad, even though it checked fine, there was an issue in the switch itself.
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I shorted the wires on the start/stop switch & nothing.

I do read voltage at the start/stop switch but it seemed low, what voltage should I read at the start/stop switch?

Comment

Voltage at my battery 12.6 and voltage at my start/stop switch 10.2 with DESS pluged in, does that sound right?

I shorted the wires at my start/stop switch and nothing.

See above for the T-shooting I have done, I have a douple beep when I plug in the DESS but when I push or jump the start/stop switch nothing.

Please advise what I should look at.

Thanks

Comment

Jump solenoid, see if engine cranks.

If the engine does crank, 1 check ground wire from the engine connector to the MPEM.

2 Red wire from solenoid to MPEM should be 12V + measured at MPEM side.

You can measure for the 12V + on the MPEM fuses.

If the engine does not crank, bypass ground from battery to engine with a jumper cable, see if it works now.

If not, bypass positive from batt to solenoid see if it cranks now by jumping.

If it does crank by jumping the solenoid you still want to bypass a ground from the batt to the engine since your ground is connected to the starter and the ground could be bad between the starter and the engine itself.
              I have seen this where people did not clean some important surfaces on the starter.
              Last edited by skisol; 10-13-2008, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I jumped the solenoid again and it turns over fine.

What ground wire are you talking about "check ground wire from the engine connector to the MPEM"?

I rechecked both grounds that ground to the engine, ohm checked good. Removed anyway cleaned and reconnected.

I had 12 volts at the fuses, both 15s & 5.

I jumped the ground to bypass starter ground, still nothing.

So I am still at when DESS is connected I get a double beep then nothing. Start/stop switch without DESS connected does not make the fuel gauge move, I think it used to.

Please advise on next step,
                thanks

Comment

12.6 at the battery and 12 at the Fuses?

.6 Volt lost

How much is the voltage on the 15 amp fuse in the rear electrical box?

While looking at that fuse start pulling on the wires in the connector on top of that box, I mean pull controled, hope you know what I mean.

Comment

I would have to look at the voltage again at the fuse. I just said 12 volts rounding down, should I check it again to see if it matches the battery? Where I thought I had low volts was at the start/stop switch, what should it be there? Going to recheck now, please fire some more ideas at me, would like to get this resolved and the ski winterized. It ran great, then parked it for 2 weeks and this.

thanks

Comment

I am reading the same voltage at the fuse as the battery. The wires at the connector on the box seemed fine.

Comment

The connector to the solenoid, between the two wires in it, how many volts while pushing the start button?

If that is where you got the 10. something you have to figure out if your mpem output voltage is to low or if you loose it thru the start stop switch etc.

Sorry but if you are not familar with electronics have somebody who is troubleshoot your ski, a wiring diagram will be handy to troubleshoot.

I tell everybody to troubleshoot like a waterfall, what do I need to get it going.
                        Step by step, you know allready that it go's wrong at the start stop switch, now you need to know what is all involved in that section as where does it get the power from etc etc.
                        Why do you have somewhere 10. volts, that is wrong!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you for your help, I have the shop manual and I followed every step and it all checked good, I have the wiring diagram ohmed and checked voltage the best I could. That is why I turned to you. The Sea-Doo dealer wants $500 cash deposit just to drop it off due to its age. Up till now I have had no trouble repairng as required. This just has me stumped. I guess I will order a start/stop switch, The last resort was me ordering something without knowing for sure due to a shoe string budget.

thanks for your help,

I checked for voltage at the rear box connector red/yellow and black and had zero volts with the start/stop switch pushed. But I also had my battery have killed from jumping the solenoid and turning the engine over at least to try to get some fogging oil moved around. I checked for spark from the grounded plugs when I was turning it over and had no spark either.

If you can think of something else to check let me know, going to the shop is not and option.

Comment

If buying the start/stop switch is an option, you might as well cut the wires from your old one, about one inch before the connector(connector to the switch) strip them (connector side) end touch the ends to eachother, see if anything happens now, if not than it is not the switch and with wire connectors you connect it all back, so at least you did not buy the switch for nothing.

You should find out which wire is the one which gives 12 v to the start/stop switch, if that wire is good but does only give you 10. some volts it looks like your MPEM is shot.

I just don't like to advise people to order such an expensive part if I did not troubleshoot myself.

You understand how that works for us, how many people call us, do you have a battery, mine is not good, sure here is the battery, than they call you, the battery you sold me is not good either, OKAY you better bring your ski.....

Comment

Working...
                            X