Wear ring replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear ring replacement

I checked out the faq/how to section on the site and I found the following information:

In order to replace the wear ring you must remove the jet pump from the craft (See our Guides in the Technical section on the left for instructions). You do this by removing the bolts that secure the pump to the hull, detach all hoses and cables, and pulling the pump straight back.

Once you have the pump removed, you have to remove the impeller from the pump housing. You have to disassemble the nozzles from the pump, remove the pump end cone, place the pump shaft in a vice, and using a impeller spline tool, remove the impeller from the pump housing.

Now that the impeller is out, you can cut the old liner out using a hacksaw or a hacksaw blade. Remove the retaingin bolt(s) on the side of the pump, securing the pump liner to the pump. Locate a small notch in the housing -that's where you are going to cut the liner - the notch allows you to cut all the way through the liner. Be careful not to damage the housing. Once you have cut through the liner, pry the rest out of the housing.

Clean the housing where the liner was with a wire brush and some acetone. Apply Loctite 648 to the housing or the liner. Install the liner with a hydraulic press or a hammer and a 2x4. Make sure you install the liner fully. Pre-drill the pilot hole for the retaining bolt into the new liner through the bolt hole in the pump and replace the bolt.

New wear rings can be purchased here: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=78w

I have the SeaDoo Repair Manual and I am looking in the propulsion section in the wear ring installation part. They don't specify using Loctite.. just soapy solution to help get the ring in??? So the question is.. do I need to use Loctite 648??? I have never seen that stuff.
    This is for a SeaDoo Sportster boat with the twin 717 engines. One of my wear rings got holes in it somehow and now the boat cavitates and is really hard to get on plane.

Also, my driveshaft protector on that side seems to be damaged too.. do these protectors have anything to do with the seal where the driveshaft goes through the hull? I want to make sure i'm not sucking any air through there.

Thanks.

Re: Wear ring replacement

No, seadoo does not mention it, but it IS a good idea. 648 is an anaerobic adhesive. It's meant to form a tight bond between two surfaces.

The main benefit of 648 is to help keep the wear ring from flexing / warping as well as spinning (I know, there is a bolt, but bolts can come out).
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Talking about the little bolts which screw into the wearring right?

If so, they will not be on the Sportster with 717's.

Comment

Even more the reason why 648 should be used.
        Dan Solie -
        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Cool, I'm gonna try to find some 648.. if I can't locate it locally, is there anything else I can use that is easy to find??

Comment

Is there a comparable permatex product for Loctite 648... Permatex is all they seem to have in my area.. I found the Loctite 518 (anaerobic gasket eliminator) = Permatex 51813/17 at Advanced Auto... But I'm having a serious hard time finding that loctite 648 (retaining compound) for the wear ring.... or if anyone knows of a good substitution.
            Last edited by swill777; 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Permatex MAKES loctite :)

You can buy it here:
              http://www.gizmosindustrial.com/Prod...?sku=442-21443
              Dan Solie -
              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

I guess if I have to order online I have to order online.
                I was really hoping to find it or something similar locally.
                Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                X