Oil for '98 GTX RFI and Battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil for '98 GTX RFI and Battery question

I just have two questions that hopefully someone will have the answers to. First I have no idea what kind of oil is in the 98 GTX RFI I just bought (got it at auction - no contact with PO). I bought rotax injection oil, but I can see it's brown and the oil that's in the doo right now is obviously bluish in color. Will it be harmful to mix these two oils? Do I need to empty the old oil and switch to the new oil? If so, how do I drain the old oil out? Also, should I be using the synthetic rotax oil or is the regular rotax injection oil ok? Hopefully the regular stuff is ok because it's all I can get without paying exorbitant shipping costs. The regular stuff is sold at walmart, but the synthetic is only carried by the sea doo dealer which is on another island. Bummer! Second question - battery was dead when I bought it, so I put a new battery in, started it up, everything worked great. About a week later, I went to mess around with it and I see the message 12 Volt low. It starts up okay still, but obviously the batter must be low. Assuming the new battery is ok, what else could be causing the battery to drain? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Although it's not the best quality oil on the market, you can use the Walmat injection oil (they sell Pennzoil if you look). Use the full synthetic oil.
    Anytime you are not riding the ski ( overnite), keep a battery tender on it. Walmart sells a good one for about $30.00

Nothing is wrong with the battery. Newer watercraft need 11.2 volts or more to run their digital ignitions.

Some 1998 models had a glitch with the voltage regulators and SD came out with a replacement regulator later to supercede the earlier ones that had a tendency to drain the batteries. If it becomes a big problem, get the superceded regulator. It is the only one they sell since late 1998.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Thanks for the info Bill. Actually our walmart sells Bombardier injection oil, but I was just concerned about whether I should add it to what's already in the sea doo or should I drain the old oil first. What do you think?

Thanks
      Sean

Comment

he means that the injection oil is not synthetic, and with that motor you should run synthetic, and he is saysing walmart also sells pennzoil and you should buy that instead, because it is synthetic

Comment

The synthetic will mix with just about anything. Run the oil tank low, then just fill it again with the new oil.
          Bill O'Neal WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X