SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories

Thumbs up How to check for proper oil level on 4 stroke watercraft engines.

Tech Tip of the Week

How to check for proper oil level on 4 stroke watercraft engines.

Kawasaki : Engine must be started and run for 15 seconds then shut off and oil dip stick removed and wiped off. Re-install the dip stick then removed for an accurate reading. Level on dip stick should read in the center of the crosshatching mark. This will indicate the full mark on a warm engine.

Sea-Doo : Engine must be started and run for 15 seconds then shut off . Pull dip stick out and clean off. Re-install and wait a few seconds, then remove the dip stick for an accurate reading. Level on the dip stick should read in the center of the bumped out section on the stick. This will indicate the full mark on a warm engine. Filling the motor to the top of the bump can cause oil to enter into the intake tube and supercharger, if this takes place it will coat the inside of the intake system and reduce engine performance.

Yamaha : With the watercraft on a flat level surface (you do not have to pre start this engine to check oil) remove the dip stick to confirm oil level. Oil should show its level between the minimum and maximum position on the dip stick, add oil as needed. Note that if the oil temperature is hot then the oil level will show high and if oil temperature is cold it will show low.

Honda : Run engine for no more than 15 seconds, remove dip stick and wipe clean. Re-install dip stick but donít screw it in, wait a second or two then remove it and check level. If oil is near or below the lower mark then add to bring it up to the upper level mark.

NOTE: Avoid over-filling your 4 stroke watercraft engine with oil! If you end up with too much oil after adding or changing oil it is extremely important to extract the excess.
    Ericka Buczkowski
    SBT

From
    MA

Default Re: How to check for proper oil level on 4 stroke watercraft engines.

I just changed my oil on my 2017 Yamamha V1 engine. When cold the oil wasn’t even on the dip stick. So I extracted the oil and oil got 1 quart out, which I though was a low amount. I changed the filter and added oil until full. It took 2.5 quarts which made sense. I then started it up a for 10 seconds and checked the level and was higher that full. So I took oil out and started again it it did the same thing again. My thoughts are I need to put oil back in but just want to confirm how to properly check the oil.

Thread Information