Switching a 1994 xp w/657x motor to a 1989 587 yellow motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching a 1994 xp w/657x motor to a 1989 587 yellow motor

I have a 94 xp hull complete with no motor. I was going to buy a sbt motor but due to economic struggling I cannot. I was given a running 1989 587 yellow motor. I saw recently that Bill O. commented that you can use the 587 stator and flywheel with the 1994 xp electronic system. My question is: Do I have to remove the coil, ignition box, etc from 587 motor because the 1994xp already has them in its grey box? Second, if I do have to remove those items, which wires do I use coming off the 587 stator and their colors to connect to the 5 wire xp wire harness. Remember the 587 stator has 6 wires and the xp harness has 5 wires. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance to you that help.

Re: Switching a 1994 xp w/657x motor to a 1989 587 yellow motor

Bill O could help you with this better than I can, early model parts swaping isn't my strong point, If you are working on 96 and up I could help you better, post on PWC today and ask Bill for a hand. Tom SBT tech dept.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You will need to use the 587 electronics, grey box, stator and flywheel. Mainly because of the flywheel and stator configurations (some models can interchange, the 657x is one of those that do not).

The only other difference is going to be using the VTS on the 94..??
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Quite contrare ! The 657X will interchange if it is the five wire stator coming from the mag housing to the electrical box connectors. Most 657X's use the same stators and flywheels as the old yellow motors had ( the connectors are different though ) and some 657X motors used the later 4 wire style stators and flywheels. Count the mag wires. You need 5 wires to make it work.
        If it only has 4 wires, swap the stator and flywheel from one motor to the other motor.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bill, the 1989 yellow motor stator has a total of 6 wires on it. The plug that goes to the coil has 3 wires on it. 1 is solid black, the other is black with a white stripe and the last is black with a red stripe. The other two in three in the harness are yellow, yellow with black stipe and black with yellow stripe. Can someone advise me which wires hook up to the 5 wire 657x electrical box. Thanks

Comment

The 6th wire is the ground wire. It is solid black. The other 5 are for the ignition and voltage regulator/rectifier.

The yellow motor has the CDI and coil inside the front mag cover. If you plan to use the ignition in the '94 grey box, you must rid yourself of the coil and CDI in the mag housing. Then use the wires from the magneto to connect to the wires in the grey box.

If you look at where each wire is connected now, it will tell you what they are connected to. Yellow wires are for the charging system. Black is ground, connect it to the grounding bolt in the grey box.. Black and white and black and red are the ignition wires. Connect the black and red wire to the amplifier in the grey box.
            A 1994 XP stator has a blue and white wire coming off the stator. The '89 stator has a black and white wire coming off of it, which would be the blue and white in a 1994 model XP. Connect your black and white wire to the Y connector that will connect it to both, the MPEM and the Amplifier.

It may help if you downloaded the 1994 service manual and looked at the wiring diagram provided in the manual.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
            X