98 Kaw 1100 ZXi - Will not Start except with Starting Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Kaw 1100 ZXi - Will not Start except with Starting Fluid

Well, it all started a few months ago when I swamped the jet ski in a fresh water lake. Once I towed the ski to shore and put the ski on the trailer I removed the seat to find the whole motor compartment full of water. I removed the drain plug and drained all the water out of the hull. I tried to start the ski to blow the water out of the motor/exhaust. The engine would not turn over. I trailered the ski home and keep trying to start it that day. I eventually got the ski to crank/turnover. I thought I was in the clear (BIG MISTAKE). I am inexperienced with watercraft. I let the ski sit for about 1 1/2 months before I got time to work on it again. This time I was determined to get it to run. I tried to fire it up and got nothing so I tested the spark plugs for spark. I have spark! I went and bought some starting fluid to "dry" the motor out. I pulled the plugs, put some starting fluid in each cylinder and re-inserted the plugs. I did this for abour 3 hours until all the water was blown out. There was alot of water that came out.

The motor is dry now and the ski still will not start with out starting fluid. Next I drained the gas tank to ensure there was no water in the tank and filled it up with fresh gas. I checked the oil tank and it looked like there was no water in it so I fill it up with fresh oil. Still it did not start except with starting fluid.

I pulled the fuel filter off to check the fuel pump and it was streaming out but seems like theres not alot of pressure. Looks like plenty of flow just not very forceful. I check both before and after the filter to eliminate a bad filter. The flows & pressure look to be about the same. Another odd thing is the fuel filter only looks half full?

I removed the flame arrester and noticed that there is nothing spraying into the carbs when I turn the fuel pump on so I pulled the carbs off and checked the floats to ensure they were working. Should I beable to see fuel being sprayed into the carbs from the fuel pump?

Okay so I have SPARK, I have AIR, and I'm not sure about the fuel. I don't know if the fuel pressure is right and I don't know if I should see the fuel being introduced into the carbs with the flame arrestor off? The ski will run currently if I dump gas or starting fluid into the carbs manually.

Please Help I do not know what to do. Thanks

Re: 98 Kaw 1100 ZXi - Will not Start except with Starting Fluid

Rebuild your carbs from top to bottom.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X