venture 1100 keeps blowing crank seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: venture 1100 keeps blowing crank seals

Yes it is in the right direction > arrow pointing towards motor .. But an after market filter might not be low restriction ?? Not sure ? But worth a shot ?

Comment

You check pop off individually, remove the cover that fuel comes into the carb, opposit from the diaphram. You want to cap the two line that connect fuel to other carb. then connect the inlet line directly to your air source. Harbor Freight tools has a air regulator with gauge regulator for ix bucks, if you want to be a high roller buy the digital one for sixteen bucks.
      But regardless what you get what you need to be able to do is gradually increas air pressure going into carb until air PSI over comes spring pressure. The sound it makes is a pop this is the term pop off. Also make sure the fuel plunger rubber is wet, wd 40 as this gives you best test, also cover carb with a towel so that you dont get oil all over you.
      So it a couple ot times until you have a range to assure the readings is cosntant.
      Then do it to the other carbs one at a time.
      Here is a link for then look at the one for 4.99 and or the one for 14.99.
      You then need to put on one end a brass nippple reduction for a 1/4 hose and on other end a standard 1/4 coupler to use shop air.
      http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...erPageBottom=0

Comment

Just replaced the after-market in line fuel filter with a 1/4 in tube for now , ran the bike on the trailer , still seems very rich , but I will leave it until after I run the bike .. might just need some carb tweakin' on those set screws ..

Also , should I leave the air cleaner and flame arrestors off when trying to adjust the carbs when the bike is in the water ? Cause it is virtually impossible to get to those tiny adjustment screws with the air box on ? Especially when Im on the water trying to fine tune ..

I think Im getting closer .. will water test this weekend ..

Comment

Well .. just got back from running the bike .. still the same issue even with no in line fuel filter ... getting frustrated ...

Any other idea's ?

Comment

did you set the pop-off?
            Dan Solie -
            04 RXP (the "Instigator")
            94 xp (freestyle mods)
            95 xp (faster than the 94)
            JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

No I didn't set the pop off .. I thought that it was just a certain size spring that sets pop off .. and i never changed springs .. thats why i didn't bother .. plus i have to get a gauge ..

Do you really think thats my problem ?

Comment

Why would pop off be changed or different from when I initially ran the bike .. never touched the diaphram springs other than to clean .. ??

Comment

Because a leaking or failed needle and seat can cause that cyl to flood with fuel...

So, if you N&S is failing, then you have an extremely low pop-off, or zero pop-off.
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

How could there be zero pop off if I can watch fuel being pulled into the top of the carbs ? The bike runs , revs good on the trailer .. but when in the water .. she BOGS !!! wont go past 5 mph ..

Is it common to have to change and check pop off ? Did I possibly need to get different springs in those mikuni's because I bored out motor 1MM over stock ? Maybe the beast will require a lot more fuel than I expected ?

Comment

The fuel is being pushed/pulled from the fuel pump, not the N&S. the N&S is only a metered delivery feature that regulates how much fuel the carb takes from the fuel line.. Any fuel it dies not take, goes into the next carb, then out the return (back to the tank). The pop-off is what dictates what fuel pressure is needed to allow the N&S to open, allowing fuel to enter the metering block and jet area.

If you have a leaking N&S, then fuel will be constantly flowing into the metering block, running it pig-rich. On the trailer, it can run like a champ, because there is no load on the motor, and the ski can easily blow/burn off the extra fuel.. When under load though, it's not that simple.

You should not need to change your PO because of a 1mm bore. You DO need to check your PO, because that is likely your problem.

One scenario that I have run into before, is that the diaphragm gasket nipple is resting too firmly on the spring arm, thus applying too much pressure, and making your PO go wacky. The PO will test fine since you test it with the cover and diaphragm out, but as soon as you put the cover back on, it pushes back on the arm. You need to make sure that the spring arm is flush or slightly below the carb body. If your PO tests fine, you can test this additional theory by applying 15psi and seeing if the pressure holds while the carb is completely assembled. If is leaks down, then there is your issue.

In short, you need to test the PO. If you don't want to buy the tool, then take it to a shop that has one and pay them $20 to test the carbs.. If your close to Ft. Peirce, I got a guy..
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Ok .. I will test the pop off and get back 2 you , thanks 4 the help ..

Comment

no problem bud.. good luck!
                          Dan Solie -
                          94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Ok .. checked the pop-off on each carb .. 1st carb was 50 psi , 2nd was 45psi, 3rd was 50 psi .. also i have gold springs .. and the number on the seat was 1.2 ... there was no dirt in carb baskets ..

Also the larger jet's read 1st 107.5 2nd 95 3rd 107.5 ..

I couldn't read any numbers on the smaller jets ..

What's next ? How do I test fuel pump ?

Comment

45-50 is about right.. Did you perform a pressure / leak down test on them?

What type of gauge are you using?

If I remember right, those ski's have remote fuel pumps. You may need to rebuild that..

to test.. from seadoosource

Fuel Pump Verification
                              Check fuel pump valves operation as follows:

1. Connect a clean plastic tubing to the fuel inlet nipple and alternately apply pressure and vacuum with the mouth. The fuel inlet valve should release with pressure and hold under vacuum.
                                CAUTION: Some fuel may be present in fuel pump. Be careful not to swallow fuel when testing.
                              2. Repeat the same procedure at the fuel outlet nipple.
                                This time the outlet valve should hold with pressure and release under vacuum.

Fuel Pump Diaphragm Leak Test Using a suitable pump gauge tester, perform the following test as follows:

1. Install pump gauge tester on the pulse fitting.
                              2. Pump the tester until it reaches 28 kPa (4 PSI) on the gauge. The pump diaphragm must stand pressure for 10 seconds. If the pressure drops, replace the pump diaphragm.
                              Dan Solie -
                              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Yes we did a leak down test .. it holds pressure .. we're using a homemade pop off gauge my neighbor had .. seems to work good ..

Do the size of the jets seem right ? This was a used bike I bought .. Im not sure if the jets , springs , N+S are all stock .. ?

So since everything seems to be OK in the carbs .. I should start looking at fuel pump at this point ?

Comment

Working...
                                X