venture 1100 keeps blowing crank seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• venture 1100 keeps blowing crank seals

hey guy .. im new to the forum , and i have a problem with my ski .. it is a 97 yamaha venture 1100 .. it keeps blowing crank seals (rear , by pto) Im guessing it is because of the carb's being so out of whack .. Ive adjusted the carb set screws to factory setting , and the seals still blow .. .. . can I just adjust the carbs like this and run the bike without blowing rear crank seals .. ? does the "pop-off" have a lot to do with this ? I have no way or knowledge to set or adjust pop-off .. any idea's or suggestiong would really help ..

Thanks in advance .. Erik

Re: venture 1100 keeps blowing crank seals

Erik, seals will blow out from a back fire, water in the cylinder or fuel filling up the crank case, it cant compress and pushes out the seal. If your needle and seat are leaking it could be loading up the case with fuel.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I think your right ,, i removed the air cleaner when bike was hard to start and my rear carbureator was filled to the top with fuel .. sounds like a carb issue .. Do I need to set the pop off on the carb if Im rebuilding it ? At this point after spending the $$$ on the rebuild parts , I dont want to fool around and may have a mechanic rebuild and adjust my carbs ..

Comment

could be a needle and seat issue, Do a pop-off pressure test and see if it leaks down.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

can a pop off test be done with a compression gauge ? Or a compressor ? Or do i need to go buy a pop off gauge ? Are they expensive ? Where can I get one ? (hope they've got directions )

Comment

http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/.../714HP008.html

Pop-off gauge.. $50, but it a NEEDED tool when working with carbs.
            Dan Solie -
            04 RXP (the "Instigator")
            94 xp (freestyle mods)
            95 xp (faster than the 94)
            JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

maybe the crank seals are being installed backwards as well??? If these selas are installed in the wrong order, it is very easy to blow them out of the crankcase. You still need to take care of the fuel issues too.
              Attached Files
              John Kubiak
              Powersports Technical Training Professional
              Las Vegas, Nevada
              Sea-Doo Tech 13736
              PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
              PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
              NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
              Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

got the seals in the crank , the right way .. they arent blowing .. also replaced diaphrams in carbs .. took the bike out and it still just bogs down and wont go over 5 mph .. checked seals and they are ok , no extra fuel found in carb .. bike idles good + sounds strong on the trailer , but when we take it out and try to let it run on plane .. she just bogs and won't go over 5 mph .. any further advice ?

Comment

If it Bog's it is becouse you are running out of fuel.
                  Do yourself a big favor and check pop of but remember that you have three carbs, check each one.
                  Number #1 carb is at the forward or near flywheel.
                  Remove the rack and at base you will see numbers they should be.
                  #1 63m 00f #2 63M 00C #3 63M 00R
                  This tells you that all three Carbs are for 1100 ski, so jets are correct, if you see a 64t, 65B, or 66H thats OK they are all 1100's engine designations.

Next check the fuel needle seat, it stamp on the bottom of brass needle seat, can be seen once it's removed.
                  Compare this number with each spring color NOTE do not mix springs.
                  Needle Seat size to Springs color Gold Dull Silver Green Shiny Silver
                  1.2 75PSI 64PSI 54PSI 41PSI
                  1.5 55PSI 43PSI 38PSI 32PSI
                  2.0 32PSI 25PSI 21PSI 18PSI
                  2.3 22PSI 20PSI 17PSI 15PSI

Jett speed screws settings
                  Low speed
                  #1Carb 1 +- 1/4 turn
                  #2 carb 1 +- 1/4 turn
                  #3 carb 1 1/8 +- 1/4 turn
                  high setting
                  #1 Carb 5/8 +- 1/4
                  #2 Carb 3/4 +- 1/4
                  #3 Carb 5/8 +- 1/4
                  Make sure all passages are clean and filters are clean, if any filter is dirty, you will need to inspect fuel tank and external filter.
                  Once you rebuilt them and set OEM settings it should be ready to water tune.
                  Make small adjustments and dont forget that the idle setting should be around 1200Rpm with a load on engine (in water)

Comment

Thanks torquenut , I will try it again .. just getting frustrated ..

Comment

Ive set the carb setting screws , both low and high to your recommended settings .. the bike runs but it seems to run rich on the trailer out of the water .. I didn't get to buy a pop off tester yet .. so I don't know what that is , but I did put in new diaphrams on each carb ..

Havent gotten to take it out yet , but if you say it was starving for fuel before , after adjusting it to your setting , richer might be what the 2 strokes like .. at least out of the water ..

Any other ideas ?

Comment

You can't tune a carb out of the water..

pop-off is going to be your magic ingredient in this formula..
                        Dan Solie -
                        94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

When I have a triple carb setup like these mikuni's , when checking pop off for each carb , do I dis connect all the fule lines to each carb ? Then check pop off for each carb ? And there really is no adjustment for pop off , other than replacing a spring , correct ?

I didn't change or replace diaphram springs , thats why I didn't think pop off was that big of a deal .. Also to "water tune" a carb , I guess I need to run the bike without the flame arrestors , otherwise Im not able to get to the set screws for low and high ?

Thanks for your continued help !

Comment

Also if the ski "bogs" down , and won't go over 5 mph , this is a fuel starvation problem ? Could part of my problem be an aftermarket in-line fuel filter ? I was reading another members post , then the light bulb went off ?? could this be my problem ??? Also , never opened the fuel tank cover where fuel lines go in .. is there a filter on the fuel supply line in the tank ?

thanks again ..

Comment

Very well could be!! Did you install the filter in the right direction?
                              Dan Solie -
                              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                              X