4-Tec Engines--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Tec Engines--

I've seen a lot of "negative" posts on various sites about SBT's 4-Tec rebuilds. Unfortunately, I have had one that dropped a valve and had to be replaced. Engine was replaced at no cost (however I had to pay for shipping, and labor to replace--I expected labor cost, but not shipping since it definately was an internal engine defect). My warranty is gone in 3 days, took SBT over 4 weeks to send another. Just wondering:

1. Why don't you cover time it takes from receipt of returned engine until time replacement is sent (extend warranty for that time period when it's verified according to SBT that it was indeed an internal failure)?? I can understand if I had only 1 month to go on warranty, but mine failed after 10 hours on engine/2 months after engine purchase, and I followed break-in procedures to the letter.

2. Also, can someone address the "great debate" going on about cast vs. forged pistons, which type SBT uses in their 4-Tec rebuilds, and why??

Thanks!!

Re: 4-Tec Engines--

Our fault free warranty covers both faults external to SBT and faults internal to SBT. The average ratio is approx 10:1. From those numbers you can see that we come out on the giving side in the vast majority of cases. We obviously are concerned that you had a failure at any time. It sounds like we replaced your engine in approx May/June 2007 and you have been running since then. I would not anticipate you would have a SBT caused failure after this time. If you did, please call Jeremey in Warranty to discuss the situation.

We used forged on our superchaged engines and cast on the rest. Forged pistons are stronger, but weigh more and expand at a greater rate so the clearances have to be designed around the type of piston you are using.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

2nd SBT 4-Tec Engine Failure after 5 hours

My SECOND SBT 4-Tec engine failed after about 6 hours. The first one lasted about 10 before it dropped a valve (valve spring retainer apparently failed).

After spending approx. $4000.00 for first engine, then $1000.00 for dealership to pull and replace first blown engine (with 10 hours on it), had to wait about one month to get second from SBT. This engine lasted 6 hours before it blew up (appears another valve failure). Now, of course my warranty is expired by 26 days.

I have sent an email to warranty dept. to see they if will replace this engine--I am extremely upset about the quality of SBT rebuilds!!!

I followed break in procedures exactly, and have had two engines blow from internal failures.

Bottom line--spent approx. $3000.00 at SBT for 2 engines that lasted a total of 15 hours--Will see if they cover this one, if they stand behind there engines or not!!

Comment

First engine blew up (dropped valve) after approx 10 hours, took into shop to have replaced first week of July, was in the shop until Sept.08. Only was able to get about 2 hours on ski that year.

Just got back from lake yesterday, cut short our vacation because SECOND ENGINE BLEW (appears another dropped valve) AFTER ABOUT 6 HOURS!!

I have sent an email to your company, I'm 26 days out of warranty now (took SBT one month to send replacement).

Will see if SBT will stand behind their engines or not!!! I've had 2 engines fail with less than 15 hours on both combined!

Comment

Re: 2nd SBT 4-Tec Engine Failure after 5 hours

Have you contacted the warranty department yet? Please call 877.330.0231 and ask for Jeremy, he is the warranty manager. We will reopen Tuesday at 8:00 am est.
          Ericka Buczkowski
          SBT

Comment

Re: 2nd SBT 4-Tec Engine Failure after 5 hours

Am waiting for offices to open tomorrow--will definately be contacting Jeremy (have already emailed him).

I sincerely hope this engine will be replaced. When I had first engine installed, my Seadoo had 44 hours on it, it's got 57 now--and gone through 2 engines.

Will let everyone know how it works out--

Comment

Update:

Spoke with Jeremy in warranty dept. on 5-26-09. SBT is willing to replace engine at no cost as long as there's no water ingestion or oil starvation.

There is absolutely no possibility of either, (checked oil before riding and oil level correct, checked after oil level correct, no water ingestion--would be obvious by looking at oil, and oil pump functioning).

So at this point it appears that SBT will stand behind their engines!!!

Will keep everyone updated!

Comment

Looks like SBT does indeed stand by their engines!!

After speaking with Jeremy in warranty dept, he had a crate sent to the dealership, shipped engine back, and they inspected and agreed to send a replacement engine out. All this was done very quickly also, new engine shipped out today.

Thanks Jeremy and SBT staff, very much appreciate your great customer service!

Comment

Working...
                X