Yamaha GP1200R SBT engine rebuild questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha GP1200R SBT engine rebuild questions

I'm considering ordering my first SBT engine and wanted to know if your standard 1200pv includes new power valves and modified pv clips? Have you ever had any of your replacement pv clips fail like the poorly designed stock Yamaha pv clips?

What constitutes and engine failure? I check the compression after use on each cylinder after the engine cools, if the compression were to drop more than 5-10 psi I would start looking for causes. Would this be a warranty replaceable condition? Or should the engine “melt down” before a warranty issue is opened?

Are there any other differences in the standard versus premium engines other than an additional year of warranty? Lastly why should I use SBT rebuilds over others that have similar warranties and lower cost? I don't mind spending more for quality as long as I'm getting value added for what I pay.

Looking forward to a positive experience with SBT.

Re: Yamaha GP1200R SBT engine rebuild questions

Yes we use new power valves and clips. We use a better than O.E. design power valve keeper, but like everything else noting will last forever. Mechanical parts do wear and do require maintenance to keep the engine running properly. SBT engines carry the best warrantee in the industry and NO Fault means No Fault as long as it is in its Warrantee period. The standard engine is built with the same parts as the premium engine is, just a longer w/a and install gaskets are included. A 5 to 10 psi compression drop does not mean the engine is bad, pistons and rings do seat differently from cylinder to cylinder. 15-20 psi between cylinders may be a problem. We do not build High performance engines, we build direct replacement to what your O.E. was but with some improvements to different models.
    Last edited by Technical Support; 06-17-2009, 12:59 PM.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

So if I see a 15-20 psi drop from previous readings would that be a warranty replaceable issue?

I'm not looking for a high performance engine the OE unit is just fine for our day to day needs, so can you outline what your stated improvements over the OE engine would be for the 2002 GP1200R pv?

Also, is the warranty transferable if I decide to sell the ski?
      Last edited by Jet-Nut; 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM.

Comment

If you have additional Questions, Feel free to call and speak to a tech person directly.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

regarding your "better than OE" retainer clips.. will these retainer clips allow us to install the waveeater clips in addition? After already losing one engine due to a dropped powervalve, Id like to install the waveeater clips as an extra precaution.

Comment

Working...
          X