2003 xlt 1200 no go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 xlt 1200 no go.

We have been riding all summer problem free until, my wife was riding and the ski started boging down and cut off. When she tried to restart it acted like a dead battery. Finally it restarted and would only go 3 mph.Pulled it up checked the impeller plugs and battery.the battery only had 11 volts ,replaced the battery, plugs. It was hard to start but finally did, idled a little ruff but straightened out now it boggs down and will not rev over 4500 rpm@29 mph.no matter what you do. :(
    Diapers and politicians need to be changed often and for the same reasons.:beer

Re: 2003 xlt 1200 no go.

Check your cylinder compression. Your motor should probably have between 105-115 psi in each cylinder. You may have dropped a powervalve.

It's not a good idea to continue to try to run an engine that has problems. You can go from $100 piston or valve problem to a $1600 motor replacement very quickly.

If compression is good, the most common problem with a bad running 2 stroke is carburetor issues. Hope your problem is a simple one.
    Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

Thanks I have parked it, I just got busy with celebrations.I plan to do what you said. Also I would like info on were to get a good manual for the ski.

Comment

Re: 2003 xlt 1200 no go.compression check

#1= 124 #2=0 #3=123

Comment

Sorry to hear you have no compression in #2 cylinder. First thing I would do is remove the cap for that middle powervalve (4 10mm bolts), look in there with a flashlight, see if the valve dropped, remove the valve so you can look down in there and see the side of the piston, turn the engine over by hand to look for damage to piston. You may have big problems, you may not.

I had this happen to me before and although the valve broke and fell down (and I lost power and compression), it did not fall into the piston and cause a whole bunch of damage. I was able to just replace the powervalve - $125 at SBT - and I was back on the water the next weekend.
          Just tryin' to help out.

Comment

Re: 2003 xlt 1200 no go. GOING AGAIN

The ring landing was burnt off 3/4 of #2 piston. ordered replacement engine from SBT. Dissabled oil injection and riding again. THANKS for your help madfish.

Comment

That's great that you are back on the water........
              Just tryin' to help out.

Comment

Working...
              X