'97 TS Montego DLX "runs but won't run wide open"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 TS Montego DLX "runs but won't run wide open"

Hi, I have a Montego DLX that won't open up all the way. When i first bought it it did this and flooded its self. I took it home and pulled the carb and cleaned it. I put new plugs in and went to run it and it cleared up and went from running 25 to 40 or 45. I thought i had it good to go after running it almost a whole day the next day. It ran good then i took it home and the next day took it out again it ran good just like the day before. Today i took it out without any worry because it was doing so well the 2days before. I ran it maybe 10 mins and by that time i noticed it had lost power down to about 30mph and then down to a crawl idle of prole 5mph at most and on the edge of cutting off. I tried to open it up and it was like it was only runing at a Quarter throttle when i had it wide open. along with some sputtering. Also when i had it wide open and it wasn't going anywhere fast it smelled flooded and alot of gas fumes. If anyone has any suggestion, they would me much appreciated.

Thanks, FB

Re: '97 TS Montego DLX "runs but won't run wide open"

Check compression.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks and it was the compression on the front cylinder. It is completely gone with lots of scareing and the pistons skirt is broken off. Had it honed and now ready to rebuild any suggestions on putting the engine back together and in?

Comment

Better to post on pwctoday.com since this site is just for SBT questions. They also own that site.
        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

If you don't have the alignment tool from AC then take the shaft seal assy off screw the driveshaft onto the coupler and visualy check the shaft for center and trueness to the pump housing. Use shims as needed to align it the best you can. The remove the shaft and put the seal assy back on and pump.
          Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Working...
          X