1999 1200 ltd Engine dies, restarts after few minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 1200 ltd Engine dies, restarts after few minutes

My wave runner will start fine. After running about 10 - 15 minutes, if I go to speeds above 30 or so, the engine dies. When I push the start button, the only display I see is the word "start", but the engine does not turnover. After a couple of minutes, I can push the start button, hear the engine start to turnover, albeit it slowly, I get a full display , i.e. fuel, oil etc, on the screen, engine starts. If I keep the speed low, engine runs fine and will stop and start immediately, with starter turning engine at "normal" speed.

No warning lights or buzzers are occuring. I appear to have water running through the cooling system.

This just started occuring this past weekend after normal running through out the month of June.

Any Ideas ?

Re: 1999 1200 ltd Engine dies, restarts after few minutes

I thought I was the only one that had wierd s**t happening to my skis....

First thing you need to do is check cylinder compression. Harbor Freight Tools has a decent gauge for $20. Remove all 3 plugs, get the plug wires away from cylinders, hold throttle wide open and turn engine over for about 5 seconds. Check each cylinder twice. You should have somewhere around 100 to 115 psi in each cylinder. It's best to have all 3 cylinders within 5 psi of each other.

Check that out and re-post here......
    Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

Re: 1999 1200 ltd Engine dies, restarts after few minutes

I will check the compression this weekend. I am not clear on how compression, or lack thereof, would be an issue. If the compression was low, I would think that the starter would turn the engine over no matter what.

Comment

Working...
      X