Overfilled Oil - Now Air Filter Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overfilled Oil - Now Air Filter Problems

I have a 2005 Yamaha FX Cruiser High Output. When changing the oil and oil filter, I unknowingly put too much oil in the crankcase. I didn't find out until the next time out when the waverunner started to bog down and would only reach a top speed of about 30 miles per hour. Upon removing the air filter cover, I found an oil clogged air filter and a thin layer of oil lying on the bottom of the tray. I replaced the $105 dollar air filter, dabbed up all the remaining oil and then removed the excess oil from the crankcase. I also replaced all of the spark plugs. Next time out the waverunner run better than ever and actually went 7 mph faster then ever before. However, I couldn't resist and removed the air filter cover to check the air filter. It was significantly covered with oil, the air filter cover had a thin film of oil on it and I found more oil on the bottom of the tray. Now I must buy another $105 air filter. What do I need to do before I replace the air filter to prevent this from occurring again? Thanks, Bob

Re: Overfilled Oil - Now Air Filter Problems

I have 2 FX140's and this is how I do it.

Your oil level on dipstick when engine is cold should be just about 1/4 inch above low mark, no higher. Put the ski in the water and idle engine until it's hot. Don't ride the ski (you don't want to buy another filter), leave ski on trailer or stand next to it and idle engine until it's hot, about 10-15 mins. Turn off engine, check the level on the dipstick 2-3 times for accuracy. Your oil level when engine is hot should not be above full mark.
    Just tryin' to help out.

I ride: XL800, XL1200 Ltd, FX140

Comment

Working...
    X