SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories

Default 2003 R12 intermittant starting problem

When putting in the lanyard I hear the beep, when I push the start button absolutely nothing happens, the starter doesnt even try. If I take out the 30 amp fuse and put it back in, occasionally it was then start, runs fine for a while you can turn it off and on again until you leave it alone for a while then the issues returns, I have tried holding the top two buttons for the ten seconds but nothing happens. I don't know if it could be the switch, or maybe the starter relay. Anyone have a direction to point me in????

From
    Lake Havasu City AZ

Talking Re: 2003 R12 intermittant starting problem

sounds like you have a bad (loose) connection, be sure the fuses are clean on the ends and tight, I am not familar with Honda's but if messing with the fuse changes it you are on to something, battery cables etc.,, :)
    tg

Default Re: 2003 R12 intermittant starting problem

I have checked all cables, and grounds that I can find, and the ski beeps when putting in the lanyard so it leads me to believe it may be something with the anit theft system (which is not turned on). or the computer or something

From
    Lake Havasu City AZ

Talking Re: 2003 R12 intermittant starting problem

Does it ever start ? you said it started when you removed the fuse and put it back in, What kind of fuse is it, if it has a anti theft device that may be it, sorry i'm not more help,,,tg :)

From
    South Ga

Default Re: 2003 R12 intermittant starting problem

part # 38580-HW1-672 engine relay. It can cause a lot of funny symtoms when it goes bad and they do. You may hear a buzzing noise back there, beeper will sound but no start. About $80 and a little pain to replace because of it's location but not too bad. Look inside the back of the ski and you'll see a black box about 5''X6'' with 6 stainless screws on top. Right behind this is a small rectangle box about 1''X3''. That's it.

From
    United States

I would guess cap and rotor. Check for spark at the plugs. If it is an intermittent problem then that would be your most likely culprit. Was it damp days when it wont start?

From
    United States

Once it fires up and warms up how does it sound/ run / ride if it is only a problem on start up then most likely a float problem.

Have you checked and cleaned the plugs / air and fuel filter?

Paula

Thread Information