Where to Start 98 GTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to Start 98 GTI

Forward one seems to be seeping oil. Whenever I have seen oil at a gasket or seam it's never been a good thing so wanted to make sure. If I end up having to put in for a carb rebuild what does a job like that run?

Comment

Well.. Leaking is a different story.. it won't make it hard to start, but it will make it loose RPM's (but not to your degree)...

a carb job, probably about $250
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Thanks Dan will let you know how I make out.

Comment

Ok had carbs rebuilt 330.00 and replaced plugs and Rave bellow. Got it back saturday same thing. put it on the hose goes great. sit over night have to hit it with carb cleaner pees like a race horse. get it the water have to pump throttle to sart 3k rpm at full boggs and stalls. pull it two feet up the ram p and its fine. Is there a float or somthing that can be blocking fuel when in the water?

Comment

nope, but now it's leading me to just a loading situation...

You very well may have a crack in one of your water jackets in the motor. I know it runs well on the hose, but that's the only scenario (I can think of this time with a cup of java in hand) unless your pump is really jacked that under load the bearings are causing you issues (mmm, probably not).

So... I have my $$ going on a crack in the waterjacket / head area or your carbs are STILL not right...
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Hate to say but but new shop may have jacked me on the carbs. Took down this morning and he said wear ring. Im like it cranks fine and idles fine its not like it rev but spins. He says oh well maybe later I can put it in the water. maybe try back it in while running?

Comment

Any way to test for the crack?

Comment

Not easily.. You have to pressure test and perform a leakdown test on the motor's cooling system. Remove the pipe and make a block off plate. Block off all but one water fitting on the head and pump in air. Should be able to hold "XX" psi without leaking down.
                  Dan Solie -
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Nice, sounds expensive. is that a progressive problem? I ask because when the problem started ski would start fine in the water, idle fine and get up to about 7,000 RPM and fall off to 4500 but never above 15MPH. Now after having the carbs rebuilt wont start in the water unless pump the crap out of throttle and wont idle in water at all. Also after sitting over night trouble starting little carb cleaner in the air box and fires right up. What cause the water jacket to crack (running dry)?

Comment

Try opening up your low speed screws 1/4 turn...

Let's try some simple stuff..

Cracked jackets are caused by overheating, over torquing and/or salt water
                      Dan Solie -
                      94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Ok will be out at dawn. Brackish is the daily here but I am fanatic about running the hose for 4-6 minutes every use.

Comment

Idle screw helped but still no load. a guy at the ramp pooped the Rave covers and said the powervalve in the front is not opening so ski wont transition. Does that make sense?

Comment

Not idle screw... low speed screw...

Rave issue, sounds like they jacked you on the Raves as well. I bet a bellow popped off. No biggie.
                            Dan Solie -
                            94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

He said it wasnt opening pulled up on the little tit while running but wouldnt come up. Shop is starting to make me nervous.

Comment

Pull the rave off.. Undo the 2 5mm allen bolts, un-hook the small black line and pull it out...

Is the paddle clean??
                                Dan Solie -
                                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                                X