Where to Start 98 GTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Start 98 GTI

Put ski in cranked right up idled out about 6-8 minutes all is well throttle up and plane out but feels weak. 7k RPM at 30 mph. Then, throttle open but RPM falls to 4, 10mph and jumps back to seven no increase in speed repeat repeat. idle back to dock can get up 4500 rpm but only about 15 mph no plane. Plugs? fuel filter where to start?

Re: Where to Start 98 GTI

My experence has been the spark plugs will cause that problem, mine has done it two times, very common and cheep, change them yearly,,,Now if it still does it look at the fuel stuff, old fuel, water in fuel, etc. let us know,,,tg:)

Comment

Thanks tony pulld plugs they are dry no oil and little carbon. It revs fine in netraul and revesre. seems to be a problem when you put a load on it.

Comment

Thats what I was saying, they can look great and will not run, dont ask me why, they look perfect and wont run. Put new ones in and off you go.
        My girl friend has a 99XP and the local shop told her it needed the carbs done, I put plugs in and off it went and they looked good, it's baffeling,,tg:) stick with NGK plugs I think they are BR8ES, Maybe I missunderstood you, did you change the plugs or look at them ?

Comment

Just looked at them, will replace in the morning. did your run fine except when you put a load on engine?

Comment

YES,,,tg:)

Comment

No joy new plugs same issue rev bog rev bog. Except now idle jumps up to 3k when first start and then settles down to 1100. runs fine cranks right up but try to throtttle up and no more than 1 minute or two and heere comes the lurch. I know fuel is good because I filled both skis at the same pump at the same time and other is fine. DId run it out of gas right before issue started had to go to reserve sediment maybe?

Comment

OK, you have a restriction in the fuel system somewhere, there is a filter somewhere after the tank follow the lines, look at the filter, ask Dsolie, he has been doing this a long time, sounds like a fuel issue,,,tg :) may have other filters that I don't know about

Comment

Could be a few things..
                  1) Whens the last time the carbs were clean?? If you don't know, or never.. Then now is the time.

2) When you kicked over to reserve you might have picked up some junk, or old water in the bottom of the tank.. To find the sediment / water sep bowl; follow the main fuel line from the carb.. It runs right into it. If there is junk in it.. you will need to do #1 regardless.

3) Trim back your spark plug wires.

4) just to re-verify.. you are using BR8ES plugs.. there is a R in that #?
                  Dan Solie -
                  04 RXP (the "Instigator")
                  94 xp (freestyle mods)
                  95 xp (faster than the 94)
                  JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Pulled sep. bowl. filter scrren was a little dirty but by no means clogged. No water in bowl only fuel. A little sediment in the very bottom of recessed area of bowl. SBT's put in in 9/06 carbs rebuilt at that time (not by me) SBT Custome in Myrtle Beach SC. Can carbs be cleaned while on? After watching the rebuild video I dont really have a place to attempt that.

Comment

Dan, Does that ski have filters in the carbs he could clean without taking them off ? tg :)

Comment

Also posted wrong ski its a 96 GTX. One slide tabs are off air cleaner should pop right off?

Comment

There are internal filters that can be cleaned, but you do have to take the carbs off to get to them.

It's really not that tough DG. Once you pull the carbs, the little filters will be under the "square" plates, not the diamond shaped ones (I know, they are both "square" but you'll get it once you see it.

Once you pop off the square covers, you will see a small black filter.. If that is filled with gunk, you found your problem. Pull out the filter (pulls right out) and clean with carb cleaner or whatever is handy (NOT WATER)..

Put it back on, get a couple new carb/intake gaskets and bolt her in!
                          Dan Solie -
                          94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Will have to wait untlil next weekend. The two black caps at the top with the red inserts control What? I did not see them in shop manual only the water regulator at the rear

Comment

Those are your RAVE valves.. They fine tune the exhaust.. Have nothing to do with your scenario.
                              Dan Solie -
                              94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

Working...
                              X